Outdoorsman feeling trapped

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Woodchuck88, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Hey are there any other fellow outdoorsman on here? Hunters, fisherman? How do you guys cope with not being able to partake in these hobbies as much as you'd like? I feel trapped in this truck for 2 weeks at a time, every minute missing what I love but I have to pay the bills.

dca and MJ1657 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    It's no different from any other thing that you are taken away from. For some of us, it was our families. For others it is just socializing. For some, church services every week, (or more often.)

Grubby, tman78, DoubleO7 and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Start scanning the fields for wildlife, see how much you can spot.

Still hunting, you just ain't getting your hands dirty.

Grubby, Lepton1, dca and 2 others Thank this.
  6. cwaldo

cwaldo Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2017
    How do.you.start a.new.post

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Seriously? Do you mean a new post, which you just made, or a new thread?
    You already know how to make a post. To start a new thread, decide which section your thread will best be posted in. Then go to that section, and click on the button POST NEW THREAD.

G13Tomcat and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    We used to go fishing when on the big wind projects. 3 days a week. Carry your gear and go to WalMart and get the license.

Some guys carry golf clubs. I just carried a driver. Occasionally you will see the driving range.

Some even carried their compound bows and targets.

There are gun ranges all over and you can rent guns and buy ammo at many ranges.

Heavy haulers all carry fold up chairs and grills.

When I stop, I look at google maps to see what's around in walking distance. Bowling alleys, walking trails, motorcycle shops, pawn shops...I can always find something to get into.

Joab Rynere, Hitman, LoudOne and 9 others Thank this.
  9. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    It just plain sucks sometimes, but being broke would suck worse. We are doing what it takes to feed our families and put kids through school. I have a barn full of pulling tractors that haven't seen the light of day since last year.

Grubby, Dye Guardian, tman78 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I used to ride my motorcycle 15-20k miles per year. Now, I'm lucky to ride 150-200 miles per year. After playing in traffic all week with 80,000 pounds protecting me SEEING all of the stupid things people do around me when I'm dern near impossible to NOT see, makes me not-so-enthusiastic about heading out "for fun" with ZERO protection when they probably WON'T see me. That, and whenever I run into town anymore, it's usually to pick up parts or supplies and there's just no reasonably fun way to do that on a bike.

nikmirbre, SingingWolf, Grubby and 4 others Thank this.
  11. 207nomad

207nomad Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Bring a fishing rod with you. I used to when I was OTR. Or, during your restart call uber and go skiing, hiking, rafting, rock climbing, etc. I never had an issue getting outdoors when I was OTR and this was long before uber, apps, and cell phones ruled the world. All it takes is a little initiative and some planning.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.