Owner Operator Looking For New Company

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Gibraltar, Dec 4, 2018.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had a brother in law running for TransX for several years. He always looked dog tired as they ran him hard, and he was willing to take advantage of it.
    Ultimately it killed him. Literally. They found him dead in the bunk at the Husky in Lloydminster.
    Let us know how it goes.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yep, that definitely sounds like the Canada only side of TransX.

4. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    sorry to hear about your brother in law. I don’t think they can still do that because of eld’s. i’m ok w doing 4 round trips to california and back. plus that’s how much a single can average anyway.

BigHossVolvo and uncleal13 Thank this.
  5. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, also Dedicated is Dedicated, its not like open board, where they can keep firing stuff at you non-stop 24-7.

Just never let them talk you into going open board with them, I did it as a contractor, would never do it again.

Also if I'm right, CanExpress is paying $1.15 - $1.20/mile all in + Fuel Surcharge on the dedicated runs Pin to Pin. Some people might say that is trash, but remember that TransX has no deductions (As far as i've been told) for Owner Operators. (They Pay Plates/Insurance/PIC/EZ Pass/Tolls/Permits/Hazmat/CVIP) so that $1.20/mile + Fuel is yours (Their fuel discount with Pilot/Loves/Esso/BVD is insane i'm told, like $2.25/gallon!) Also no deliveries with Reefer is like Xmas everyday! Nothing like waiting 6-36 hours in a dock, for meat, produce or cheese to be loaded.

I didn't have a problem with TransX/CanXpress, when I was contracting there. They did get a little annoying with the calling for updates, but they also couldn't see contractor trucks on satellite. Some of the trailers suck, and finding trailers is a pain in the ###, but its not the end of the world. Again you being on dedicated, you will avoid the Walmart and open board ########, which is what I didn't like about Bison or TransX. Thankfully being a contractor, they weren't allowed to dispatch or give me loads directly. My dispatch did a good job of filtering out the BS, and I mostly ended up doing PIN to PIN stuff. A couple times they asked me to deliver to Walmart stores, and we declined. I just told them to have a city guy waiting at a truck stop or their yard, and I would be there ASAP to switch lol.

6. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    @BigHossCummins When I asked the recruiter about dedicated runs. She said that occasionally I will be told to open board runs because “they don’t want to lose other clients”. I did okay that at that time but now that I read your post about being firm not to accept that, should I go back and let her know that I’m only joining if they keep me tied to dedicated runs?

She said they rotate the open board/multiple picks stuff so that it’s fair with everyone because nobody wants to do them.

7. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, I figured they might try that.

Lemme say this, if it was me, and I wanted to get on a dedicated run out of Calgary right away. I would prob still go for it. I guess with this shortage of drivers, and how the industry is going, you kinda have to roll with the punches.

That being said, if you have to do 1 week of open board stuff, to get 3 weeks of dedicated, its worth it. However, if that open board stuff is in Canada/Walmart, then tell them no. If its open board in the US, then sure. You want to avoid as much Canada/BC work as you can, cause it simply doesn't pay, the ######## factor is huge, the fuel is expensive, and they put their retarded office gumby's on that type of work. The US Planners/Dispatchers will always be better, because that's better paying work (Which has been my experience).

I also just seen a dedicated run for CANEDA, running from Calgary to Mira Loma, CA. CANEDA in my opinion, is one of the best companies out there, and their head office is in Calgary (always a plus).
    Class 1 - Mileage Owner Operator - West Coast - Calgary, AB - Indeed.ca

End of the day, trust your gut and try whatever looks good. As long as you're spending 75%+ of your time dedicated with TransX, might be ok, and it never hurts to get a break from a dedicated run. You can't really go wrong, as long as you don't go to Bison, H&R, Heyl, Lightspeed, People Express, Canadian Freightways, CNTL, Red Maple, NorthX, Grace, Trappers, New Way Trucking, Pride or Syndicate. (The usual Suspects).

Gibraltar Thanks this.
  8. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    @BigHossCummins you got it brother. can’t thank you enough for all this useful information. i’ll go talk to that recruiter again. caneda looks promising except that the sign on bonus transx is offering might be a deal breaker. and definitely i’m looking for only usa work. no canadian runs whatsoever and she knows that too. k we’ll find out by next week how this pans out.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    No Problem Bro! Always happy to help! Esp fellow Ex-Heyl Drivers lol (We survived Yay!) lol.

Watch the sign on bonus, they usually come with a lot of strings, but TransX does have the work, and you will never be slow; and you will always get paid.

Gibraltar Thanks this.
  10. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Noticed today that the trans-x yard in winnipeg has a big billboard out front....” drivers! We pay overtime.” Had a chuckle.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  11. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, they're really on that kick! Only because Canada Cartage lost that huge lawsuit, and are now on the hook for a few billion! lol. Bison always had "Overtime is included in mileage rate" in their contracts.

That being said, at least they are making the effort to actually log and pay it for mileage highway drivers/city drivers....none of the van/reefer FTL companies and most LTL companies are not even considering it for highway drivers; only some pay it for city hourly guys. (That i've heard of/been told about).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.