P&D and Customers(rants and funny stories).

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by snowlauncher, Oct 1, 2019.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, I do have to give you guys credit for that. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had one COD in my lifetime.

A delivery of green produce something edible in a whole truckload to a little Mexican store in south central Denver. Loaded in Nogales and delivered there into that nice little place with good people unloading it in a couple of hours. I think the check tendered to FFE was around 1500.00 same as cash which was instantly turned into Denver Dispatch and documented beyond reason to ensure they don't deduct that #### thing from our own pay.

It was not a bad run overall, however COD is something I try never to do. Unfortunately if you live long enough you will end up doing at least one.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    When I was doing foodservice, I had this one customer that I would deliver to first thing on Tuesday mornings and a buddy would deliver to first thing on Friday mornings. It was a small, family owned restaurant where the old timers would all come in first thing in the morning for coffee and breakfast and talk sh^t with each other. They weren't a huge restaurant, but they placed decent sized orders because they made everything from scratch.

Well, one Friday morning in late November I'm getting my stuff ready to head out and the guy who has this restaurant on his route opens his side freezer door and just yells "oh what the f^ck!" I go take a look and almost fell over laughing. His first freezer pallet was floor to ceiling cases of butterball turkeys. And of course they were supposed to go to that small local restaurant, that wouldn't be able to sell even 10% of what he had, and definitely didn't have enough cooler space for them to defrost in time before Thanksgiving.

I suggested he call the restaurant right there to verify if it was a mistake or not, because there's no way to work around a pallet full of turkeys if they had to stay on the trailer. You'd either have to have someone come out in a van or straight truck and pull them off case by case, or drive 40 minutes to the warehouse to get reloaded (we were based out of a drop lot with no dock). It turns out the order was not a mistake, the restaurant ordered so many because they were donating them to a local charity for Thanksgiving. The driver still had to unload them by hand through the side door, so I'm glad they placed the order for his delivery day and not mine.

5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    That's hysterical, but also awesome that the restaurant was donating turkeys for Thanksgiving, that kind of thing seems to be going by the wayside more and more these days.

6. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    At least they didn’t do it the way they did in Cincinnati that one time. I think it was a rock station called WKRP or something that dropped turkeys out of a helicopter years ago.

TankerP, LoneCowboy, x1Heavy and 4 others Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Take cover, Thanksgiving bombs.

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It was a television show...WKRP in Cincinnati.....

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    As a side note, that era in Television is something I prefer to just leave buried deep. Some of that material not necessarily WKRP etc was just a form of make work and pretty banal in quality.

I am cursed with one of those feelings that if you are going to watch something at least watch something good, as in really good.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    In our world the best ones are those with the words “certified check only” written across the front in nice big letters. :rolleyes:

11. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Our nearest big hub is out of SLC. I have met several of those drivers and heard a few interesting stories, but one stands out in my mind.
    They had a large account with a certain DC across town, and there had been several pups spotted and loaded at their location. One afternoon, a city driver was dispatched to go to their location and pick up all of the loaded trailers to bring back to the terminal. I think he wanted to go home, and was hoping this would be his last run of the day...
    When he arrived, he saw that there were 4 loaded pups to bring back. In an effort to save time, he hooked 4 trailers together in tandem, and pulled a quadruple train across town to the yard, so he wouldn't have to make two trips!:biggrin_2559:
    Needless to say, that when he rolled through the gate several people saw him, including the supervisor...
    He was written up for that stunt, but kept his job.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.