Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. roadrunningx18

roadrunningx18 Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2016
    get my mail near ABQ
    Spent enough years chaining up firetrucks that i know the challenges and limitations. Eyes and ears open, mouth closed, just like being a Probie again.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The Force is strong with this one.

Are you looking to run flatbded, perchance?

4. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I keep a tote of summer clothes and one of winter clothes at home and trade as seasons change. Wet weather gear is a must year round, for summer months, I carry a "kewlvest" (I can provide a link if interested in a source) that when soaked in water, will keep you cool for hours in triple degree heat.

I also keep 2 flashlights with a flood feature, I use these to mark my lane when I need to back into a spot without adequate lighting. Other drivers have seen me put them to use and actually asked me about it, I have even helped a few by placing them when I see another driver get frustrated by over thinking it... we've all been there right? Best $20 walmart investment ever....

5. usncva62

usncva62 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    barre vermont
    can we bring a laptop?will we be allowed to wear shorts or do we have to wear pants all the time,and steel tip boots? just how much room does the trainer have in his truck for a student?

6. usncva62

usncva62 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    barre vermont
    oops.never mind i just saw advice on the laptop and to pack lightly until you go solo. thanks

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I saw you found some of your answers.

Regarding steel toed boots: if you plan to pull a dry van they aren't necessary. I think in the two plus years I pulled a dry van I only used them once because a warehouse required them (kind of a dumb requirement IMHO).

If you plan to pull a flatbed or bulk, then steel toed boots are a requirement pretty much everywhere at a customer. You will also need a hard hat, safety vest, etc.

Dry van you see drivers walking around in flip flops. Don't be that guy. Wear something comfortable, but professional.

Vladpryde and tscottme Thank this.
  8. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Thread revival.......this may sound dumb, but why are sleeping bags on the checklist for alot of companies? The only thing I'm thinking of is just throw that on the mattress and slide in instead of taking a sheet and blanket. Unless I'm missing something here?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Two reasons. First, if you are team driving as the trainee, rather than "sharing cooties in the sheets" you have your own sleeping cover for your own use.

Second, have a sleeping bag as backup insulation, even if you are running solo with sheets, blankets, and a comforter, is a good idea. If the temperatures drop below zero and your truck shuts down because water content in the fuel has created ice on your paper fuel filters, you are now in a survival situation. Always keep a sleeping bag in the truck.

tscottme and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  10. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    work shoes with plenty of padding inside of them

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Pack one large duffel bag. You will have to stow it on the top bunk. I packed a sleeping bag, a week of underwear and socks, gloves, 4 shirts, two pants, and my coat I just wore separate. Also shower sandals and a bathroom bag with all needed toiletries and one towel. That’s really it except for my phone and wallet. Haven’t needed anything else so far.

I wish I had a laptop that would be really nice about right now. My only entertainment is my phone. If you have a tablet, that would easily fit in your bag.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.