Passed Hazmat, wait until CDL comes with endorsement?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CruzControhl, Sep 9, 2018.

1. frizzbees

frizzbees Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2018
    OP, this was not a stupid question at all. And the best part was that you asked it and didn't claim it was your "friend" that wanted to know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    :(:(
    It’s amazing how many good “friends” there are to help out their driver buddies here. My friends either have better things to do or maybe they just don’t care about me as much as I thought
    :(

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The laws states the endorsement is required. It does not state filing the paperwork is fine.

Remember, I believe, CRE get the exemption for permit holders to drive? All the exemption was, was for the driver to be able to drive solo from the time they passed the drivers exam to the time their license got in their hand. That took a special exemption by a major carrier and it only applies to said major carrier.

No, just having the paperwork filed will not help. One needs the little piece of plastic with the X on it....

frizzbees Thanks this.
  5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    When I got my HM, I got the background check done then went to the DMV for the test. As soon as I passed it, they took my permanent license and handed me a paper temporary one with the endorsement on it. My new permanent license arrived a week later, but I was legal to haul HM in the meantime. This was in California.

tscottme, frizzbees and snowlauncher Thank this.
  6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    MS DPS told me that when the letter comes in you are good to go. They add the endorsement to the computer record when they are notified positively by TSA and that’s what counts. Just come in when convenient to have it physically put on the license.

That said, if you trust that everyone involved will do their job and do it in a timely manner then go with that. If on the other hand you don’t trust them to do their job, and especially if you are an “if something can go wrong, it will” kind of person then go have it put on your license before hauling placarded HazMat.

frizzbees Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    ONly if you have that paper that says temporary with the endorsement on. Cuz that's all you get till the plastic comes in. And you don't get that till testing and fingerprints are cleared.

And don't forget. Fingerprints are good for 5 years EXACTLY. Whereas the test gets done every time you renew your license. Provided your state is on the 5 year deal.

My license is good till 22. My fingerprints however. Need to be done in 12 months.

frizzbees Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's one load. Yes you are chomping at the bit to dawn those placards, but no way on God's earth I'd even try it without the endorsement on my license.

And the better shippers of hazmat will probably turn you away anyhow.

Several of the places I go there is an orientation required by the facility. They give you a card good for a year or two.

One place is so hard core, it uses facial recognition software, and you sign the BOL's with your face as well.

One receiver has facial recognition.

Has mat is ALWAYS available. There's a reason for that.

9. CruzControhl

CruzControhl Light Load Member

May 7, 2018
    Well thanks and what are Leos? Also this load was waiting at a drop yard preloaded.

10. frizzbees

frizzbees Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Law Enforcement Officer

11. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    LEO=law enforcement officer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.