PDTI - Just another 4-letter word?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by JustSonny, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Yes there is some companies that will take you over other grads.

Jmurman and JustSonny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Live_Free_or_Die19018

Live_Free_or_Die19018 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Clifton Heights, Pa.
    Not sure if that's the only way to go but, lately I'm seeing more and more employeers requiring that type of school. I'm sure there are many more differing opinions out there. Keep reading here and you will get enough info to draw your own conclusions. all the best to ya.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    If you are just starting out, why not go to the best school possible? I went to school in the summer of 2008. I checked out several schools in my area. There were also a few PTDI schools that were private and public. I found the public (local college) was 2,000 cheaper than the other schools. One private school had several new trucks but no current classes held. I thought to myself, I only need to drive one. I'm not paying extra cash for this guys fleet.

Bottom line- Some companies like Crete only pull new students from PTDI schools. I figure why not start at the top.

JustSonny and Jmurman Thank this.
  5. FREEZERGEEZER

FREEZERGEEZER Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    keller, tx
    I am attending ATDS in Texas. It is PTDI certified. I have already been contacted by several companies. Some companies, Crete and KLLM , strongly suggested this school.

JustSonny and Jmurman Thank this.
  6. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    There may be varying degrees of PTDI. I'm not sure. There may be one that is more advanced than the one I got.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    I am sure there is a hierarchy in truck driver schools, company school vs private, PDTI certified vs non PDTI certified, 180 hours vs 450 hours, just as there is with colleges, Harvard vs Nebraska University, Univerity vs Community College.
    However, I think it comes down to your own career plan and finances. In my personal opinion I wouldn't pay more than I had to.
    I chose to go to a private school over a company school, however it was not PDTI certified, it cost a lot less and was only a month long, but I got my CDL A with all the endorsements. Then, I chose to go with a smaller company as oppose to one of the big training companies where one only needs 6 months experience to be a trainer.
    For me, I found it more valuable to be trained, well trained, by an experienced driver, I mean experienced too, many years of experience not months, in the real trucking world, in real trucking conditions and real trucking situations under real loads than to have more time in school driving around town empty or on the pad. I also got to earn a little and gain experience

There is no substitute for quality training on the job from someone with years of experience. While it may be fun slipping on the skid pad, it is not the same as being in a truck, under a load, in a real snow storm or on a real icy road.

Go to a decent but affordable school, get your CDL, then chose a company that will get you training by an experienced driver, or find a successful OO that will take you on. It is your training that is going to make or break you, more so than the school you went to.

Jmurman and JustSonny Thank this.
  8. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

I'll tell you, I wish I had trained on a skid pad. Learn how to handle different types of skids.

You will have to learn on the job. Hope like Hell you make the right move. The wrong move will cost your job, even your life.

How to determine what type of skid you are in is the first thing. I did a drive axel skid once in another life. I yanked the trolley brake to pull the trailer back in line. I didn't know that was the right thing to do for that skid. It turned out my trailer brakes needed adjusting.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. LavenderTrucker

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    There have been studies that show not only skid pad training serve no useful purpose, but actually increase the risk of subsequent crashes.
    The give driver a litte knoweledge, which can be dangerous, and a false sense of ability and security that they actually drive in conditions they shouldn't, or drive faster than they should because they believe they have the know how.

Now add that to poor training by another inexperienced driver for a month or two and is it no wonder we are seeing all those trucks in the median during these winter storms...

JustSonny Thanks this.
  10. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

You are quoting what source? Both of my teachers want a skid pad. One ran a private school in California, also taught at North American van lines school in Indiana. North American thought it was important enough to have a skid pad.

You are expected to make the right moves for the situation, surmise what type of skid you are in.

Seeing you have less than 1 year I question your thinking. I've never driven in snow and ice with a big rig. Worst I had was torrential Florida rains.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. LavenderTrucker

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    Well, if I owned a school then yes I would want a skid pad, that way I could up th tuition and make a bigger profit. I would also make sure that all my recuiters and staff talked about the "value" of it.

You are right, I have less than a year. Howevever, I have maneuvered my way through the slippery slopes of this industry and have a good job, driving with a good company that treats me well and I am paid well, especially for a newbie... The other day I was just talking to a driver, or listening to a driver complain who has 3 years in... he is making less than me, so perhaps he has something to complain about, or he can stop playing victim of the trucking industry and do something about it.

Here is a scenerio for you.
    Santa gives 2 wannabies $10,000 so the can realize their dream of being a trucker. So on January 1, 2010

Wannabie A, goes to a PDTI certified school, with skid pad costing $9,500 for 5 1/2 weeks.

Wannabie B, chooses a private school, not PDTI certified and with no skid pad costing $4,000 for a month.

Febuary 1 2010

Wannabie A, still in school.

Wannabie B, graduates with CDL in hands in a month, still has $5,500 santa money left and Can
    1. go with a big training company and may get trained by a newbie (6 months experience needed to be a trainer) but at least get experience and maybe earn a little money too.
    2.can take some time and get hired on with a good small get trained by an experienced driver, get experience and earn some money.
    3. Pay a successful, experienced OO $300 week to train him for 3 months and still have $1,900 santa money left.

March 1 2010 thru May 1, 2010

Wannabie A, still in school, having a blast on the skid pad.

Wannabie B, got hired on with a small company, earning decent money, being trained by a very experienced driver, and has 4 months experience, and $4,500 santa money... (spent $1000 on things on the road for hen they get their own truck)

May 15 2010.

Wannabe A gratuates, has cdl in hand, had to spend the remaining $500 santa money plus more while in school for almost half a year. However, now can.
    1. Get hired on with a training company... (See first two options that wannabie B had months ago)

Wannabe B. Has recieved training from an experienced driver, has 4 1/2 months experience, has been earning money, still has some santa money left.
    but still no skid pad training.

January 2011

A dream driving job opens up, wannabie A and B both look into it...
    1 year experience required.
    Wannabie A calls, tells them about his 6 months of experience and skid pad training.
    Wannabie B calls and tells them about his 11 months of experience.

hmmmm wonder what carries more weight, skid pad training or 5 more months of experience.

I am driving in all weather conditions, just weathered my first 2 blizzards. I drive safe, I pull over if the weather is too bad. The best way to handle a skid is to avoid them in the first place. I have not experienced any major skids, a few scary wind moments, and a freaky load shift with a drop and hook trailer that was sealed with no peep hole. However, in school they teach you what to do, but it is in your head, a good trainer is going to teach you the intincts you need.
    Trust me, when that wind came up and I felt the trailer going and I swear I saw the wheels leave the ground. I didn't remember a #### thing that was taught in school, fortunately for me my trainer had been developing the intincts in me and was there to remind me to breathe... which took several moments to remember how to even do that.

Personally I put more value in training by an experienced driver than what even good instructors can teach you in school. In school the areana and conditions are too limiting.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.