Peterbilt 579 floor wet in sleeper

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Edjahman, Nov 30, 2016.

1. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    I would think that that's the best place for a leak, get a electrical fire going, burn it to the ground and get a truck that doesn't leak, but hey, don't listen to me, I'm tired, lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I used to deliver live tropical fish. Told Freightliner I no longer need a reefer, I'll just put the fish in the instrument cluster.

4. cumminskid123

cumminskid123 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Manitoba, Canada
    The dealer I worked for, covered each one of them under warranty for that exact customer concern, it only gets fixed if you bring it in with that complaint, they won't call you in, its a campaign that gets addressed when the unit rolls in.

5. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Covering it under warranty doesn't mean it's a recall. This is a warrantable failure, of course it would be covered under warranty.

FYI: If there's a recall, or a campaign, customers get notified by Peterbilt. It's not like this stuff is secret. They send letters out.

There's no recall or campaign for this. It's just a failure which warranty would pay for.

6. Edjahman

Edjahman Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you guys. Its really strange because it only happened once and now nothing. Im just going to take it to peterbilt around xmas. Ty.

7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    We have seen the gasket between the sleeper and cab leak at the floor. When you drive in wet conditions the water gets thrown against the bottom of the cab and seeps in. Dealer should fix it up

8. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    Yeah its got to be the rubber seal. I just got it washed at streakin beacon yesterday and the carpet was wet right where the bunk connects to the sleeper on the floor area.

Its getting dropped off at Houston Peterbilt over xmas break.

Thank you everyone, for the replies!

Merry xmas to all!

EJM

9. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    So, Houston Peterbilt sucks. I recommend all of you avoid it like the plague. I left my tractor there for a week and they couldn't be bothered to even look at it.

I had to get back on the road after Xmas break so I took it to Baltimore Peterbilt last week and they had it for three days and said it was fine.

Well we had a HUGE rainstorm on Monday the 23rd and it rained like crazy. I was running up and down I 95 between Wilmington Delaware and Baltimore. It leaked like a sieve so I'm going back to Peterbilt this Thursday. I spoke with the Field Service Representative and he seems to be on top of it.

I'll be at almost 100k miles on Thursday but he said they will honor the warranty until it's fixed.

In the meantime, it really sucks living in a truck with wet carpeting in the bunk area and wet storage under the bunk but I'll survive!

I'll keep everyone posted!

Thank you and Good Day.

EJM

10. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Not to defend them, but just speaking from our own experiences here at our dealership, finding leaks can be really tough. We've had trucks come back several times before we've been able to isolate where a leak comes from. Spraying it with a hose, pressure washer, etc. Even if you know exactly where to look, it can be difficult to actually get it to happen.

Edjahman Thanks this.
  11. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    I understand it can be complicated. It's just frustrating living in a swamp. I will be patient though! It'll get fixed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.