Planning to build a small fleet, which truck to start with?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kratogen, Dec 1, 2020.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Depending on the repair and location of breakdown, obtaining parts can be problematic. I drove a Volvo for another company and when they get up in mileage, the transmission can be an issue. I broke down in Mississippi once, and the mechanic was saying it needed a spicket bearing, but it took so long to get that part that I ended up getting in another truck. As for service, it depends in the location as well. Some dealers are better than others. There are small repair shops in Chicago that are comparable to Volvo dealerships and they know what they're doing. Most of them have European mechanics, but they deal with those types of trucks with regularity.

kratogen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kratogen

kratogen Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2020
    Wow crazy what happened to the air lines! Thanks for the tip on RTS, will give them a good look. Sounds like Volvo was able to take care of you when needed but still disappointing that your brand new rig was down within 7k miles. What are your warranty terms? Do you have long term concerns about reliability?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  4. kratogen

kratogen Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2020
    This is a big concern for me. I want the truck to be readily serviceable anywhere it may break down.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Do you ever buy anything from Walmart? Amazon? Anywhere? The old 'buy American' idea is nice but it doesn't work very easily in the grand scheme of things. Your domestic car is probably made in Mexico and if not, most of the parts are. Howbout the computer or smartphone you're typing on? Made in Asia.

We are a part of a global economy. I buy what makes sense for my wallet and accessibility and availability are a big part of that.

I am a very happy Volvo owner but I'm not biased towards them. They just work well and I found what I needed in my price range when I needed it. Also, there is a good mechanic 30 miles from my home base. I agree that most modern emissions trucks are the same just like the pre emissions are shiny fuel hogs that attract chicks I'm not interested in.

It sounds like you've done a good bit or reading and planning. Glad to hear it. Keep us in the loop.

I hope by now you have a new spare tire in a rack on your truck. Costs half as much on your terms as it does on the side of the road somewhere.

bryan21384 and kratogen Thank this.
  6. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It just doesn't work that way. If you own it, learn to maintain it. If you don't, you'll always pay. Pay as in enough to put you out of business.

New Volvo is 500k and 750k on the iShift tranny I think. Mine is a 2015 so long out of warranty.

bryan21384 and kratogen Thank this.
  7. kratogen

kratogen Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2020
    You are right! Its hard to buy American all the time. This thread has definitely warmed me onto Volvo, will look a lot closer at them going forward...

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Thanks for returning your posts to black. That other color was hard to read.

kratogen Thanks this.
  9. kratogen

kratogen Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2020
    Is iShift the only option on the newer Volvos? Do they have 13 or 18 speed manual gearbox as an option?

10. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It's definitely one you should look at but they all are. As Ridgeline said above, most new ones are largely the same.

Just as important as brand for me is tranny (I wouldn't own any automatic except Volvo). If it's not a Volvo auto I'd want an Eaton 13 or possibly 10.
    Other things that are REAL important for an OTR truck are space in the bunk where you/driver will spend a lot of time, APU and fuel mileage. I'm also a big fan of the trouble free disc brakes on my truck. I hope to have them on the next trailer. Less scrutiny from DOT and much longer life.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    10-4 on the Volvo automatic transmissions. One company I was with put some test trucks in the fleet to help decide which new trucks to buy. They wanted automatics for fuel efficiency also. The Volvo automatic transmission is the only one that worked perfectly all the time. So, the company bought Volvo trucks with Volvo engines and Volvo automatic transmissions.

86scotty and bryan21384 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.