Profit/Expense calculation per month. Is this right?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by johnhawden08, May 18, 2022.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I dunno, I work for a small, 20 truck outfit. I'm paid fairly well on a W-2. 3 weeks paid vacation, 3% match on my 401k. I don't use the company insurance, as I'm on my wife's insurance, which is a bit cheaper. But the company offers health and prescription, eye and dental. I was paying $100/ week for the family when I was on it.

I worked for a much bigger outfit with worse equipment, benefits, and pay. And more headaches due to the corporate B.S..

But I still wonder, if a company driver averages say $7k a month in actual wages, how much is the employer paying in addition to the $7K? And that's why I asked. Is the OP including those other costs in his 'driver payment' line?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diligent_Transport

Diligent_Transport Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2022
    I believe typical rule of thumb will be the company owner will pay 1.25 to 1.4 times the amount paid out to the employee with full benefits.
    This is just a typical round estimate and could be more or less depending on the benefits offered and how much 401k your matching.
    But if an employee is making 120k(pretax), the company is paying roughly 150k-168k to offer those benefits.
    So take home for the employee could be 85k-90k after taxes while the employer could be paying as high as 170k

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.