Prostar and maxxforce engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ew2108, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    Started having a vibration at idle last week which turned into a bad grinding whining noise. Droped the trailer and head over to the montebella dealer(I like these guys. Good service and friendly) just as I was pulling in I blew a fuel line on injection pump. They put a new line on and noise is comming from that pump. They told me it's on a nation wide backorder. It's been a week and still no idea when it will be shipped. It seemed to me just before the fuel line blew my engine oil pressure was about 30 lbs higher than normal. ?? Kinda strange!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mechanicallmake

mechanicallmake Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2011
    georgetown,ky
    Im an mechanic and I just left and Detroit Diesel dealer for an International dealer. I still love the DD15 and cascadia. Sorry to say I have not seen anything that international has that to the DD15 or Cascadia. I am looking forward to learning more about the ISX though.

4. BTS1

BTS1 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2011
    PATERSON NJ
    International truck factory warranty
    hi every one just want to share some info with you about international truck factory warranty and exstind warranty i bough my new 2006 international truck with a 8 year 300,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty cost around 12,000 so the truck can at least out last the payments be for i start dumping money in it boy was i wrong the only problime was how long you have to wate to get service water pump went 3 to 4 weeks for service power steering leak 3 to 4 weeks so what have to do pay out of pocket to fix the truck at a local repair shop now truck has a oil leak after waiting 3 weeks to get it in for service now im told im out of warranty not by the years or the miles but by the hours 200 hrs out of warranty so i said if i did not have to wait 3 weeks for service my be would still have warranty so every one out there with a factory warranty keep a eye on your hours as well they do not care how long your truck is down for 3 to 4 weeks for service i will never buy a factory warranty a gain i hope this help some one out there because they do not care about us wen it comes to service only to sale thank you

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    BTS1, your just trolling around and coping and pasting the same BS. I have a hard time believing it took 3 to 4 weeks for the repairs you are talking about.

lv gn Thanks this.
  6. MNNR

MNNR Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    My company has experienced a rash of major problems with the Maxxforce. We had high hopes of avoiding SCR so the Maxxforce was the only choice. We have one Cat and one Cummins Prostars which seem to be fine. Two out of four of the 2011 Prostars with the Maxxforce have been trouble.

However a 2009 Maxxforce 13 totally blew up with a 175,000 miles. International did replace the engine under warranty but was down for about 2 weeks. Two of the 2011 Prostars have been plagued with check engine lights and plugged EGRs and EGR coolers. One is on the third EGR in 85000 miles. It also just had the engine wiring harness replaced. A 2010 Maxxforce cracked a head and burned out an exhaust valve with in 140,000 miles. This truck is down for 2 weeks for that repair. The Maxxforce's also plug up between the radiators causing the engine to run hot and lose power. A big concern is any deer hit will cause substainal damage to the massive radiator/charge cooler package.

We also run Volvos and Macks which have not been free of problems. Once fixed they have fixed we did not experienced the same problems. The International part availablity and tech support is no comparison to Volvo. In many cases it has taken days to get parts from International. Also International's dealer network has a limited number of Maxxforce Techs which makes it hard to get fixed on the road.

It is pretty clear from the number of 2011 Prostars on the Truckpaper International is taking back a large number of trucks that customers are clearly not happy with the down time, performance and fuel mileage. I have heard from others that they will replace 2011's with 2012's if the customer is not happy. I understand International is trying to do the right thing to keep their customers happy but these kinds of problems are very costly to the end user and really question purchasing any more Maxxforce engines given the problems. Our 2008 Volvo with a D12 engine with over 400,000 miles is the most reliable truck in the fleet along with being the oldest and with the most miles.

Sure hope International can finally resolve the issues. The drivers love these trucks because they are quiet and ride well. The 475 hp Maxxforce pulls great when it runs correctly.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    International is listening and they know there is a huge reliability issue and a lot of o/o are loosing money big-time!!! They have made several improvements to the 2011 model engines hopefully the bad luck is behind you!

8. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    I saw he posted on multiple maxxforce related topics with the same thing.
    Navistar has been listening as heavyd said to improve the product. I work at a duel dealership (peterbilt and international). Every engine out there right now is having their share of issues. They key thing is to stay up on the updates and keeping software current. Their are few major fleets and customers in my area that I do all the field service work and do product testing with international that run 07 and 10 maxxforce emissions model engines. After we did the updates that were needed and updating the software its helped fix alot of the issues we were having. The 2010 has been way better then the 07 product and MPG right now for one fleet is running in the high 7's and unit downtime has been reduced on both year engines. International is in process of expanding their tech. support and parts support to reduce downtime and getting more techs. to training to keep the product going.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I finally had 2007 Maxxforce training last week. International did kinda fall on their face with the product launch. We have been told that International has had huge contracts with both the American and Canadian governments to supply military trucks and engines. Along with that contract military techs got first dibs for the training and parts. Everyone else had to wait. Now things are starting to get caught up - just in time for 2014 emissions tear! LOL!

10. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    Oh you going to do the 2010 product? International had a whole bunch of supplier issues to going on which also didnt help. I was doing some prototype testing on 07 big bores today with my CSE and an engineer on some new AFI dosers. The new design is to prevent carbon buildup on the tip.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    LOL, no actually I went for 2007. I was sent more for a formality so I can get my Diamond Certification.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.