"Protect from freezing" dry van experiences.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Let's not forget about the theory that collective heat of the mass of product creates an isotherm inside the trailer that will prolong its internal temperature much longer than an individual piece of the product.
    "1 bottle of water will freeze inside the trailer much sooner that 10 000 bottles binded together"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My first cold winter on one of the horse farms for breeding at the barn we would get the water buckets replaced with fresh water in the morning. As soon it hits the concrete it's ice. If you were not careful and turned that whole pad into ice rink none of those horses are going to come out on their shoes onto that. Out comes the pick, break it all up. Then get them turned out. Some days they just as soon stay in the barn. Whose smarter? Them or us? ha.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Most truckers don't think at that level, if they did any thinking at all. //TEASE.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The product itself is giving off heat. That plus the sugar and what ever preservatives are in it probably lower the freezing point a few degrees.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the temp in the box went up for a few hours after you closed the doors.

nredfor88, PE_T, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The vibrations from the motor would have to help some IMO. Sort of like running water takes way longer to freeze then water in a puddle. Obviously the water in the bottle is not running but the vibrations to an extent simulate that. Also, if we’re worried about freezing it must be #### cold, so having your truck idle all night also ensures your up and running in the morning.

That’s what I do when I’m worried about what Joe was. I thought it was fairly common though. When you are truly worried about it, you’ll do about anything.

PE_T and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I once had a load of pears out of Washington.I kept it at 35 F. The outside temp was in teens. The freon escaped and I was in WY. The service was performed in Omaha, NE 15 hours after the issue was discovered. The inside trailer temp was showing 31 F when they started working on it.. I was surprised to find out that freon was also needed for heating the trailer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    PE_T and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I used to load glue in totes. The last few totes came straight from the mixing vats. I never took a actual temp, but just by feel I’d say they were around 100*
    I would pull out close the doors and turn the unit off, then turn it back on before I got to Cleveland about nine hours later. The box temp would be around 75*

PE_T, x1Heavy and TallJoe Thank this.
  9. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    My heater was busted and it was 20 F, I was parked between one guy who wasn't idling and an old hood with big stacks that idled all night. I was toasty without even needing the heater until the hood pulled out that morning, then it dropped like 25 degrees in the cab

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I may repeat myself now but what I find strange about this "protect from freezing" subject, which is not only depicted here but also in a few FB groups, is that carriers, such as me, are not necessarily willing to take that risk as much as brokers and shippers are. It must be relatively easy for them to file a successful claim, if it happens. For instance, with this last load, I was under impression that I was sort of deceived into taking it. I found myself in a position where refusing of taking this load would be rather difficult from a pragmatical stand point.
    One must remember that for own authority, just one claim, may mean one strike and you're out.
    That's why I went a bit too concerned about it than I would have, If I were, let's say, leased on.

Cat sdp, PE_T, Midwest Trucker and 3 others Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That is true , kind of like the penguins all huddle together to keep warm. Truckers are the same lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.