Question for drivers in automatics

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nmill, May 31, 2020.

1. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015

Yes, driving by the seat of your pants..
    Works well for me also....

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s definitely better for an experienced driver.

Unfortunately for most new drivers today a truck with an automatic that practically drives itself is the only way they can do this job.

In a sense, there are driverless trucks running around all over the place already.

D.Tibbitt and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  4. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I guess just a different way to say the same thing. If your drives kick sideways the trailer is going to go somewhere

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Reading through all of this has given me a headache.
    How about just dropping into one or two gears lower than what you climbed up the grade in, set the Jake in high and stroll down?
    Easy peesy.

D.Tibbitt and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  6. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015

Like that fits all situations :rolleyes:

Blue Zombie Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I didn't bother reading it all. Too much ########, and too much testosterone.

I'm a fleet driver, so I drive what I'm ####ing told to drive. Yeah, I'd rather be driving a 13 speed most of the time, but when it's time for downtown Chicago, I'm glad to have the AMT.

Our fleet trucks have manual mode programmed out. I use the Jake on snow and ice, but not always, and never without paying 125% attention.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You are overthinking this. If you have a max load on use position 3. Medium load use 2. Light load use 1. Couldn't be more simple. I don't know about the cruise control. I have never even tried that. Just let the Ebraking work and tap the brakes when needed, just like you would a manual. Just for an example, when I have 5,000 on, and I use position 2, it will actually slow the truck down going down Mounteagle. I have to give it gas to stay at 45 (or 55).

9. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I have never driven a auto but it sounds like the problem is when the manual mode is disabled. I can't imagine letting a 15L engine turn 2200. I have a Dd15 with a 10 speed and there isn't a mountain in the east I can't come down fully loaded where I have to exceed 1700 when in the proper gear. I have to assume one of these days I will drive one, but locking out manual mode sounds dangerous and hard on the equipment.

Ffx95 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    The whole notion of not using your jakes on ice is a little flawed IMO... You CAN use your jakes on slick roads if you know what you're doing and are careful. But there are also times when they can get you into trouble... Like that SUPER slick ice that you get in a blizzard with extremely cold temps and driving winds, or freezing rains, or engaging them in stage 3 when they are going to slow you very rapidly.

I drive an auto (unfortunately)... For slick grades I go MUCH slower, use manual mode (I drive in manual mode all the time anyway), keep rpms low, use stage 1 jakes, and occasional light brake pressure if needed.

I drive very bad winter roads alot... I go through WY every week, twice a week, all year round. I also get into MT, ID, UT, and NE very often, and CO occassionaly. When most people are parking I just take it slow and keep trucking... Only thing to guarantee that I stop is a road closure I cant get around.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It fits most.

D.Tibbitt and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.