Question regarding BMI/Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Gulf Coast Trucker, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Gulf Coast Trucker

Gulf Coast Trucker Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Hello ! I'm starting orientation with squire on the 20th do they have a BMI / Sleep Apnea policy in place ? I don't have any signs but I'm a big boy and don't want this to affect the hiring process as I need to get to working ASAP. I have changed my diet and I'm working on getting the weight down but unfortunately it's a lot harder to get off than put on.
    Thanks In advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilrobby

lilrobby Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Wichita,KS
    do you snore at night? do you move your legs up and down when you sleep? sa has nothing to do with your weight although it does not hurt to be in shape. I at the time I was with prime was diagnosed with sa and once I got my cpap machine I have never felt better since i sleep all night. As long as you are willing to deal with the fact that you may have it they should be willing to work with you. This is nothing to be afraid of.

Gulf Coast Trucker Thanks this.
  4. DizzyLizzy

DizzyLizzy Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Beaver,WV.
    The last company I worked for there doctor said DOT regs stated if my neck is over 17" it is mandatory that I have to produce a letter stating i have completed a sleep apena test, but my neck is only 15 3/4...........

Gulf Coast Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Gulf Coast Trucker

Gulf Coast Trucker Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I do snore sometimes but not all. I sleep very well every night and don't move arround while sleeping. I was told that some companies will make you go for SA test depending on wt or neck size. So since then I have been a little nervous, mainly being a recent grad and I have had to wait 5 weeks to get into orientation. So if something doesn't go right I don't want other companies to not consider due to the amount of time from graduating.

6. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    where does it say in d.o.t.regs? i beleive its mostly a company policy thing,not d.o.t. though i won,t be suprise if sleep apea is targeted next by them

7. DizzyLizzy

Jun 27, 2012
    Beaver,WV.
    if your unsure of the size of your neck or weight ask the company your gonna work for what the name of the company that does the physicals, call them anonomously and ask them if your neck size or weight is gonna be a problem for a DOT physical it could save a long bus ride back home..........

8. pokerperv

pokerperv Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    romeo,mi
    I heard, but not confirmed that in 2013 D.O.T was going to start BMI and Sleep Apnea but like i said possible rumor.

9. pokerperv

pokerperv Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    romeo,mi
    I work for Schneider they are so helpful for those who may need a cpap machine and as long as you pass the agility test and keep ur heart rate inline while doing agility ur good to go, im a big guy 330 pounds and i had no problems with heart rate while doing the agility and strenght part.

10. Want2

Want2 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Can you share what cpap machine you have? I want to buy a machine myself. I know I have sleep apnea and don't need to spend $2000 on a sleep study.

11. DizzyLizzy

Jun 27, 2012
    Beaver,WV.
    get a used one on e-bay then buy a new mask save alot of money.............

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.