Railsplitter's Crazy "Trucking Daze" thread...

Discussion in 'Truckers' Photo Shack | Art Gallery' started by The Railsplitter, Jan 24, 2023.

1. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Last round for the day, more Fort Hood pics... :rolleyes:

IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7547.JPG
    IMG_7548.JPG

This German field piece looks good for discouraging door-to-door salesmen & Jehovah's Witnesses, lol... ;)

IMG_7549.JPG

For those pesky Gulf Coast skeeters... :eek:

IMG_7550.JPG

Nice wheels on this old Italian number... :confused:

IMG_7551.JPG
    IMG_7552.JPG
    IMG_7553.JPG

Here's just what is needed for rush hour traffic on the 405... :cool:

IMG_7554.JPG

This one would be good for late-night liquor store runs in Compton, North Philly or the Lower Bronx, lol... :)

IMG_7556.JPG

I'm off to drink more beer as I make dinner... CHEERS!!! :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I worked on that base for many years as a civilian, and the cool thing about most of those vehicles is that they still run.

I've watched the Army pull up with a trailer, throw a battery and fuel at one, then fire it up, drive it onto the trailer and haul it away. A couple weeks later it'd be back on the pad with a fresh paint job.

The few times I've seen it happen, you wouldn't believe the smoke that an old tank could produce, or the amount of noise one makes after setting for a few decades, but it was fun to watch.

4th ID had an old tank sitting in front of their headquarters, and when they left Fort Hood to relocate to Colorado they fired it up and loaded it. I assume they took it with them because it never came back.

4. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    I'm glad someone appreciates the pics, lol... I know some aren't Ansel Adams quality, but that's because I'm using a small digital Canon cam to take pics of old paper photos, and sometimes the pesky glare or reflection gets outta hand. Meh, I reckon newer drivers will get the gist of my photo collection, it's all about life as a "commercial sightseer" or "paid tourist" ("turista pagado" en espanol, lol). And of course there are all the cool sights & stuff I never had a chance to photograph while behind the wheel... I just enjoyed those as they came along. I look back on trucking and I have no regrets, though there were times when I wasn't enjoying it... kinda like being in the Infantry, always better appreciated once it's over and done, lol. But I had a lot of good times too, no doubt about it, and those years spent OTR helped define who I am today... a crusty ol' codger ready to hop on that thumper and take to the hills to do some riding, lol. ;)

5. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Well, I'm gonna spend the weekend watching the 'TARANTULA 100' desert race here in my Home 20, so y'all catch a break... the race will be held Saturday & Sunday at Red Sands OHV Area off US-54 south of Alamogordo, a few miles north of the Border Patrol checkpoint. IIRC, the checkpoint is around the 40 yardstick, so Red Sands would be a few miles north of that, I can't remember the exact yardstick, somewhere between 43 and 45. The entrance is on the west side of US-54. There will be multiple classes racing, with the pros starting first since they'll be faster... should be a good time. :cool:

Even with mods lightening the bike by 30 lbs., my KLR 650 is a tank and it does NOT do well in deep sand, so I'll be playing the spectator with some cold beer & BBQ action, lol. A couple hands I met down there at Red Sands will be racing their tricked-out 250cc bikes, which are much more suitable than the KLR... deep sand is the nemesis of my bike. There are trails down there with harder surfaces, but I know the course will include patches of deep sand... if I had a lighter bike, I'd probably enter the '60 & older' class, as I like hauling ### down trails, but the KLR is just too heavy. :(

The weather forecast doesn't look bad for this weekend... the recent high winds have died down and cold temps have eased a bit, so the race is on and I'm looking forward to it, lol. I've been thinking about running an ad to swap bikes with someone who has a 400cc or 450cc thumper... gotta be a street legal Enduro though, as I ride up to the nearby Sacramento Mountains quite often. Some of those 600cc thumpers are also much lighter and more nimble than my KLR, so I'll probably include those in my ad. I've had fun with the KLR, but I'd like something a bit lighter and nimbler on the trail... :rolleyes:

Y'all be safe on the road, I'm off to make breakfast and knock out some household chores, including dishes & laundry... don't wanna bother with it this weekend while the racing action is happening. I'm hoping to meet some more trail riders too, folks who like riding in the mountains... there are so many trails up there, it's incredible, but some are too rocky for this KLR, no need to damage my Dunlop D606 knobbies on those sharp rocks, lol. I've seen quads with tire sidewalls ripped open by those rocks... fortunately, there are enough trails without rocks for me to enjoy riding this monster thumper I currently own. :confused:

6. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    The pics are awesome, makes my daily run between MN and Nd seem even more boring then it is, thanks for putting this together

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.