Rand McNally’s launches GPS device built for truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by rookietrucker, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest

Ahhhhhhh Kenmar.....the thing is, the man boasts to loudly and insults others to much. It's the classic "small man" syndrome. Heck he's like the 2nd Lt of trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mastertech

Mastertech Staff Leader / Admin Staff Member Administrator

Dec 28, 2007
    3rd Rock From The Sun.
    Who would have ever thought a GPS unit would be such a hot topic...:biggrin_25526:

4. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    It's all your fault.. :biggrin_2559:

Mastertech Thanks this.
  5. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Once again, I'll remind folks here that I am not a trucker (like anyone needs to be reminded of that) nor have I ever even seen a GPS in use. So I am not asking these questions to inflame or invite insult, but to simply learn about the doggone things.

Does a GPS have the capability to preplan a route? Can a driver program a company-designated route into it? Or do you simply turn it on, enter your destination, and go where it tells you? Is a GPS a one-time purchase, or is it something to which you subscribe on an regular basis?

Is it possible that some drivers enjoy the challenge of driving without the newest technology?

Honestly, I really don't see this so much as a right or wrong issue, as a personal preference... but the discussion here has certainly been interesting! :biggrin_25520:

6. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    love how he puts down technology while he type's on a computer on the internet! plus no need for a gps when all you do is drive 7 miles down the road and dump your garbage off and drive 7 miles back! im old school but anyone running a little late and have their butt saved by your gps, will never travel without one again! i never even thought much about them. the company im with give's you a cell phone and a garmin. dam! im sold and will never leave home with out one again! technology is great!

Ken Thanks this.
  7. Ducks

Jan 1, 2007
    One more question -- does a trucker GPS show coop locations? (I would hope so!)

8. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    Not all GPS's are created equal. I can't set a predetermined route on mine like I would on my boat's chart plotter, but I can get close.

Mine has several ways of routing, fastest time, shortest distance, no highways, no tolls, etc.

Although mine isn't geared toward the trucking industry like the one this thread was originally about, it does allow me to input that I'm a motor home. The one being talked about in this thread, in theory will only route you where trucks will fit, taking into account your weight and height. I'm sure it will also provide fuel stops and coups.

A GPS is pretty much a one time purchase. There's no subscribing to the actual GPS service. You can subscribe to traffic monitoring which will allow the GPS to show traffic, weather and construction delays. This helps it reroute you if needed.

GPS's have a myriad of features. If it tries to take me on a route that I don't like or is congested, I can just use the detour function and get another choice.

Another feature I like is the POI (Points of Interest). If I'm looking for a certain type of restaurant, hotel, fuel stop, local attraction, etc, I just pull up a menu and tell it what I'm looking for. Once it has given me my choices I select the one I want and it routes me there.

And you are correct, the use of a GPS is solely a personal preference..

Ducks and Texas-Nana Thank this.
  9. Ducks

Jan 1, 2007
    Thanks, Kenmar! That's pretty cool... and I can see why some people really like them. I did not know, however, that they had them for boats! I'm so technology-deprived. LOL

10. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    They were available for the maritime industry long before the highways...

Ducks Thanks this.
  11. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Your yappity yap,yap around here is any less ?
    Yer a funny lady most times . . . . . :biggrin_25514::biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.