Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas vs. The Rand McNally G.P.S.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Widowmaker9172, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's exactly how I roll...

Lepton1 and thaistick Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I buy a new paper atlas every year. the info in the front is valuable. axle weight limits, restricted roads,ect.

4. River9601

River9601 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Springfield Illinois
    I keep a current Atlas and the RM Tablet 80. It’s got truck specific nav and it can check current fuel prices at each station which helps me as a O/O that’s independent. The Atlas Local Laws and Regs are quite Nice

5. Korodoch

Korodoch Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Can anyone point to a situation where the paper atlas is better than the GPS from Rand McNally is better?

Rand McNally does not put more effort into making sure the paper atlas is better the electronic. They have an interest in making sure their info is correct, regardless of paper vs electronic.

THE DRIVER IS ALWAYS RESPONSIBLE FOR ROAD ROUTES. If a route is incorrect and the driver uses it, the DRIVER IS RESPONSIBLE, not the GPS or ATLAS. So, saying the ATLAS is better, is unwise, as the PAPER ATLAS cannot be updated in real time.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I rarely consult my paper atlas anymore, as I run in states where I am familiar with the rules and regulations. Sometimes I run oversize and or overweight loads, requiring me to stay on a permitted route. Often I run roads and bridges that don't allow trucks, because getting to or from oil rigs requires me to run a specific route.

My primary navigation is my Rand McNally GPS, with Google Maps backing that up. When the RM lists a route that is nonsense then Google will often have a better route. Frequently I will override one or both by inserting way points or "via points", but be aware that both programs will recalculate to the next way point after you arrive at a way point, often with unexpected results.

Always use the best GPS available, your noggin. Read road signs! Sometimes one or both GPS's will want you to exit right, when you need to exit left.

GPS is a tool. They are not perfect, but do make the overall job easier.

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    As I said, a atlas is easier to read. Your not looking at a little 4 inch screen trying to scroll around.
    If I need to route myself from Malone Florida to Kirksville Missouri I can see the best routes.
    It’s faster and easier.

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Google maps.....it's free. It had satellite mode, you can see low clearances, or routes that look suspect

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    The Atlas is a good tool. Give you a quick big picture of things. You can quickly look up a small city, town, village in some remote location and get a good idea on what your getting into. Add a GPS unit, providing one or two routes, then doing a check against the atlas to look at overall route choices, terrain, and the like.

Again, tools to make the job easier. No one item is the end all to be all, and sometimes the Headsup GPS is not so good.

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.