Ratchet Straps and Tarps for a 40' trailer, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Miroh, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    I thought about that at one point and purchased a few 40 footers but I haven't unpacked them. But when you think about it, think of the 8 or 8.6 feet for the 102 inch wide trailers, which most are. 11 feet tall payload and youre at 30 feet, including the ratchet which that will also give you a few inches more. You would be getting close to watching out for any bridge under 13.6 at that point.

I haven't been doing this for too long. Only a couple of years now but i have yet to need anything beyond 30. Watch now that i have said it....lol.. But Its really all about preference. Having 40s won't do any harm if thats what you want. I just think its a little over kill for every day normal none over sized loads.

unklphil Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. unklphil

unklphil Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Ocala, FL
    Oh yeah that is a great point! I didn’t even consider height versus length. I doubt I will be taking anything over-height. Any advice on how many and what length of chain and how many binders to start out with?

4. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    I think I started out with like Twelve 2inch wide, two 3 inch and four 4 inch. But I had a few loads that required all of the 2 inch ones and had to use my others which was over kill for the load. I think the last I counted I have Eighteen 2 inch but i rarely come close to that. Usually no more than 12 though for my usual loads. I use 2 inch because again, whats the weight you're gonna be pulling really. I did have one like 3 months ago that used my 4 inchers and my chains but its uncommon for me.

One thing you'll want to remember is, have spare straps because if you dont protect them from rubbing against the load or even against the trailer, youll eat through them. I have 6 still wrapped in their plastic. (Not part of the 18 i listed)

As far as chains go, I have 20 footers. I only have 4 although I'd like to up it to at least 6 as I've missed 2 loads that required 6 chains. But again, I dont like using chains too much so it wasn't a big deal. I also went with the ratcheting binders instead of the old fashioned ones. I like them for their ease and the fact I won't break my jaw if im not paying attention.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    unklphil Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.