Scared Out Of My Mind

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Newtrucker79, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    As far as lessons to learn, yes, as said, get ye on Google Maps, Satellite and Street View!
    When in doubt, "Drive" the route in Street View first.

And if you are not confident, as in, you can't see the dock and an obvious way to get in, call them and ask. (sometimes I have gotten snobby or clueless people, but usually someone will know)

Or, park nearby, and walk it.

Our Merciful Overlord Google is great and usually not too outdated.

(Though they need to re-drive where the new Amazon Fulfillment Center and TA are in Patterson CA... Lol)

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Reading through this thread, it's my opinion (yeah, like that really matters...lol) that those dollar store accounts should use 28' pups instead of 53' long boxes for their deliveries. I know, it'll never happen as it's not cost efficient since they can stuff 2 or 3 stores into a 53 as opposed to one in a 28, but still...

Some of those dollar store parking lots aren't big enough for a Lincoln Navigator, let alone a 70' Freightliner and trailer.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hmm... That could be an option. Put one store on one pup. Put one on another. Put the trailers together and go. Break them down at the nearest truck stop. Make the delivery with just one.

5. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Can't back them up
    Double the maintenance
    Extra endorsement
    More likely to roll
    Harder to pull
    Double the amount of things to check
    Drivers will want more for pulling them

Plus once a driver gets doubles experience what's stopping him from going LTL lol it's supposed to be a driver mill not driver career advancement!

NavigatorWife and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    I like that idea Mack!

G13Tomcat and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    When I started out, I hit everything. Now, I can't figure out how I did it. Experience will cure most of the problems you have in trucking.

8. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Yes,those tight parking lots are "Tough" and undesirable even for a "seasoned" driver.Oh,and watch out for the " hammered $300 Dodge Neon" parked right where you need to swing your cab around.Whats this about? I can appreciate not wanting to get fired,however these kind of deliveries are almost "setting you up for a bad record".These type of accounts along with food service"hire and fire" everyday.If you can get some other driving gig,I would jump on it.JMO

NavigatorWife, bzinger and tinytim Thank this.
  9. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Do they not teach new drivers turns they can and cannot make?

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong but you knew you couldn't make the turn but went anyway? I just don't understand that line of thinking.

tinytim Thanks this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Sounds like he couldn't see any other way in, knows that trucks go there and figured he must be able to make the turn. Forgot to watch his mirrors though.

That's no place for a 53', I sure hope they don't send them in there in the day time.

G13Tomcat, NavigatorWife and m16ty Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I moved the back end of a nice black Cadillac over into the parking spot beside him. It was a tight situation in a strip mall. The guy is still probably trying to figure out what happened to his Caddy because I didn't stick around to explain it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.