Simple question weight

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Xenergiserx, May 18, 2021.

1. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    It doesn't go both ways. If they put 20k on then he still has a chance to fit another 20k+. But he can't do that if they jam it with 41k. What would they do if he shows up with 20k already on his trailer because this load was only supposed to take up 20k?

God prefers Diesels and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yeah i would not take it back. #### happens, your still under gross. Most you can do is ask for a bit more and then don't work with them again if they refuse

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I didn't mean it as a partial. If it is a partial then that's different.

I assumed he was talking about a full Trailer Load.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    RStewart and slow.rider Thank this.
  5. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I assumed the opposite. I sometimes get "exclusive use" loads, but if that isn't specified in the ratecon, then I figure it's open season. Of course I could be wrong though.

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Why would you care what it weighs?
    if you’re under 80k gross?

I’d be concerned that the shipper put more product on the trailer by accident.
    And the receiver may not accept it all. What’s the BoLs say ?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Because if it only weighs 20k then he can potentially fit a second load. Plus hauling more weight costs more fuel and maintenance.

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Try for more but just get it done. I agree with Steve, book every load as if it’s 45k. What does the BOL say? Maybe negotiate before you leave the shipper? Unless it’s cross country then does it really cost you that much more?

9. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    It could make a difference if the shipper miscalculated the weight and put considerably more weight on than what the bol says.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Was it a rail can? :laughing-guffaw:Suspension gauge would catch that the minute you cranked the dollies up. I was ALWAYS skeptical of "estimated" weight, as opposed to, say, 44,682 on the bills. Most of the time, rail loads never had paperwork anyway, so a load gauge was a necessity. It's been my experience, except in very rare cases, "light" loads don't exist in trucking.

11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Book every load to gross 80k. I got full price on a "partial" once, because I told them I'm not in the LTL business. I don't care if it's one pallet, or twenty, it's paying like it's twenty. Only time I went for more money when the load was heavier than agreed was because the lady at the scale decided to be a ##### about it and it pissed me off. "I'm not letting you out of here at 73k." #####, you aren't running this show, I am.

90% of the time the load ends up weighing less than described, so you come out in the end.

Vampire, RStewart and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.