Sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LooneyTune, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Fatigue figured into only .04% of big truck wreaks, but when four wheelers account for over 70%....

And will the doctors who give the test, or send you to have the test done, have they taken it? I want to make sure I get a fully awake doctor you know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    something to keep in mind, I contact my family Dr. about this. He does my DOT physical and bills the insurance for it. He said that it is not an absolute that you get the test, he does the profiling, but he also looks at the entire history of the person. In my case, while I fit the profile, my overall medical history is such that he will not require me to get tested. However, if I go to the regular workers comp Dr. for my DOT physical, he will require it.

4. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    You know Striker, it seems that right now only Minnesota and Iowa based DOT doctors are making drivers get the sleep study done. All thanks to Minnesota and their fatigue checklist they started a while back. Of course Iowa DOT went up there and liked what they saw and decided to do it too. I'm still weary about this going nationwide and being required by every driver to get done. I still say it will be a huge mess

5. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Use cpap.com I order all my junk there on my flex plan card (medical spending account) then turn the receipt into insurance and get reimbursed It's cheaper then your local DME supplier:Tourist industry:

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    The thing that really sucks about all this, is that for so many of us, the CPAP has truly been a life saver. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would not be alive today, without having gone to this several years ago.

But then you get these money grubbing a-holes on board, and suddenly "everybody needs one" whether they do or not.

LooneyTune, Chickenbone and 48Packard Thank this.
  7. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Typical knee-jerk reaction of those who legislate and some (SOME) providers. For example, I was on vacation in CA last year and broke a piece of my CPAP mask. Went to a local office to buy a replacement, and the technician was lamenting about a poor man who couldn't get adjusted to his just-received first-ever unit. The man was 90. NINETY! Tell me this case wasn't about simply lining someone's pockets.

And BTW, I could have written Big Don's first paragraph. Two years next month, and I'm convinced that I would have eventually died in my "sleep" from severe obstructive SA.

LooneyTune Thanks this.
  8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    apparently some are doing it here in Colo. as well, that was how I heard about it was from a caller on local radio program

9. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Didn't know that about Colorado. Guess some states are already starting to pick up on this.

10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I just got a 2 year medical card yesterday in NC at Primecare. I meet the BMI and neck size to require a sleep study. Nothing was said about it so I guess I am good for another 2 years.

My regular doctor (not Primecare) has me scheduled for a sleep study in December. I plan to keep that off my medical card as long as possible.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Can you attach that thing to your back, because I sleep mostly on my stomach.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.