Slowing to the shoulder to let faster traffic by.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bentstrider83, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve done it on occasion, if it’s safe. Especially when I’m heavy, going through a town. Just to let them go, and be gone.

JolliRoger and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    With all due respect, I've lived in Colorado almost 3 years now, and I can say without reservation, for as progressive a state as they claim to be, and the amount of people it brings in ( not to mention the $288 MILLION dollars they take in each year with the dope business), Colorado has the WORST highways I've ever traveled on. I realize, the mountains are a challenge, but like 70% of the state is a prairie, and still running 2 lanes( or the dreaded 3 lane) with no shoulders. I suppose they figure, the prairie is a big enough shoulder. Head ons, from people crossing center happen on a daily basis. N/S Hy. 285 is one of the worst.
    Someone mentioned increased traffic in lieu of the virus,,,Sturgis is this week, with an expected 250,000 bikers from all over, crowded bars, no masks or distancing, as if to give a giant middle finger to the virus. It pumps in over $800,000,,no wait, silly me,,,$800 MILLION dollars into S.Dakotas economy,,,virus? What virus,?

4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I let people get by me all the time, especially mountain switchbacks.

5. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Yes and no. There were shoulder spaces for this where I drove and I'd move over then. Coming back on the road you'd get an a-hole still trying to pass. If there wasn't a proper spot to move over then no I wouldn't. All you have to do is hit a soft shoulder once and loose a trailer to ruin your good reputation.

6. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    If it's not safe or legal ... then don't do it. None of them folks are going to pay your bills if you roll your wagon because you hit a soft patch on the shoulder doing them a favor. As a matter of fact, they're probably not even going to stop to see if your okay.

7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I will make sure the driver gets around me, but I will not go to the shoulder of the road. Even if I have to get off on an exit and just come right back on the road, I would rather do that than go on the shoulder.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  8. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    You aren't in the country until cars start using the shoulder to make left turns

9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    The Hunny and I still haven't figured that one out yet? We laugh every time the Prius etc needs to swing wide to turn.
    I believe it is the "me first" mentality of the NE. It's power and self importance. If they swing wide so we can't pass they are going to be first, and we are going to wait until they make their turn. If they have to wait for a line of oncoming traffic we are going to wait too...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I've been pretty good so far at staying away from any crowds. Any place that I have to go into everyone is generally masked up and distancing. That and I seem to be the only one at my company that masks/faceshields up and gets tested monthly.

I guess we'll see where we are in a month with that crowd. With the age demographic that makes up most Harley owners, I'd be a bit concerned. Again, let's see how the next month pans out.

Of course let's also be glad that any earlier predictions of things looking like Stephen King's "The Stand" we're greatly exaggerated. But could you imagine that horror? People dying from a virus while behind the wheel? Can't wait until that CBS reboot comes out.

201 Thanks this.
  11. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Took me from Henderson to Corsicana to figured out why all them drunk drivers on TX79 we wandering all over the road. Years ago

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.