Smokers....I finally quit!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by fireba11, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Clipboard

Clipboard Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I will be resurrected. Maybe you too:biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    Yup they say if you aint crazy by the time you start takin that drug -- you will be in a short time. Personally, I took zyban but the side effects weren't bad--shoot i didnt even get upset takin them. Too bad i didnt keep on them! :biggrin_25513: I got some new stuff to try though and my friend had used this and it didnt make them flip out or nothing. Its called Final smoke--supposedly all natural stuff so we will see when i am determined to stop. They have a website its called finalsmoke.com if anyone cares to check it out!

4. Clipboard

Clipboard Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My cousin quit smoking and gain 80 LBS. and then she died...

5. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    Quiting smoking tobacco is one of the greatest acheivements in my life. I was foolish enough to begin when I was in my 20's and smoked for the better part of 20 years. I quit cold turkey for nearly 8 years, and then last summer, I had a renewed interest in staying alive. So, I asked my doctor for a Chantrix prescription--it worked well for me even before the "quit date". Naturally, after I stopped taking the medication, I realized that I would have to have a mind set that says "RJ Reyolds and all the cigarette companies are trying to kill me--stay away from smoking". I'm not tempted to smoke even when smokers are around because I know that if I smoke, the cigarette companies will smile and tell me that they've won.

I have kept a stable weight all my life, so I don't know much about the hardships of this. However, I've heard that the lasoo surgery is very effective and easy to do. Newer methods have reduced the technique from being an open abdomen surgery, and so should reduce the cost considerably.

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

Hey good for you. My dad (actually step-dad) has smoked on and off for years. He quit the first time after his dad died from lung cancer. He started up again in 4 years and that was 24 years ago. He's 70 now and lights up...my wife tells him that she thought he quit. He replies he's old and it's too late to stop now. :biggrin_25513:

I smoked while I was in the Army. Heh, what cured me was that 5 mile run in full field gear and wearing the gas mask. If that doesn't get someone to quit, nothing will. :biggrin_2559:

7. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    I have never smoked, so I cannot address the problems of quitting. It just was not acceptable at our house.
    But, I have raised tobacco and the amount of chemicals you spray on the crop before harvest is crazy. You spray for horn worms 2-3 times and then spray a sucker preventer after you break off the flower stem to prevent the stalk from shooting out suckers. I would expect some of this chemical residue would carry over to the final product and contribute to ill effects on your health.
    I can't for the life of me understand why people start smoking in the first place, especially now with the known health effects and price. Guess it must be "the look at me, I'm cool, I smoke" when in reality its "the look at me, I smoke, I'm an idiot".
    And why is the percentage of smokers in trucking so high? At our place we have 12 drivers, a mgr, and a mechanic and there only 2 of us that do not smoke or chew. I hate to get in a smokers truck, windshield always seems like its fogged up.
    I applaud all of you that have stopped or are trying to stop.

8. tiledood

tiledood Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Heartland, Florida

Bingo! It is completely unatural to smoke. The body rejects it in such a manner, that everyone I've ever known that started, actually had a hard time adapting to their soon to be bad-habit. Most kids I knew started smoking because it was illegal until age 18. The juvenile psychology was therefore, I'm smoking, so I am an adult. I think if it were legal for a 4 year old to buy a pack of smokes, the "adult" issue would vanish.

9. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    I would love to stop smoking and I really don't enkoy it, but its a habit....I have heard that so many of the stop smoking drugs have bad side effects? I don't know if this is true....I will stop smoking one day and I hope that I can do it like my sister did....she layed them down and never picked them up again and it has been over 20 years....its a bad habit and an expensive one too!

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I quit with just the patch. I was a two + pack a day guy and when I had back surgery I had my last smoke at 4am on the way to the hospital for surgery. that was about 8 or 9 years ago. I did start back up for a month or two at one time but my wife quickly kicked my butt and got me back in line.

11. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina

My resolution for 2008 was to quit smoking and I have cut back alot but still smoke....I will quit this year.....I hope!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.