So how do you merge onto the highway?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kevin_L, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

wow Y'all are seriously harsh....

course it took me 10 min to stop laughing so i could post...:biggrin_25522:

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrIT

MrIT Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Yes but if they fly out in your lane and you rear end them then you lose because you are supposed to be in control if your vehicle 100% of the time. If you run into the side front or rear quarter panel then it will probably be judged as they are at fault for improperly merging and or lane change.

4. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    For those that were rude and had answers that didn't really answer the OP, and you know who you are, I'm really disappointed in ALL of you.

For those that have answered him with decent, and instructive answers, thank you. This is exactly what this site is for.

I'm (or maybe I should say the staff in general)
    growing weary of seeing smart Alec comments by veterans to members that have just joined and NEVER been inside a truck. I believe this is the beginning of a NEW TTR!!! Frankly if new people coming into the industry are scared away by members that I've described in this post, then what point is this site?:biggrin_25510:

Mastertech, j76ny, d o g and 9 others Thank this.
  5. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    Well see, that's the beauty of it. To truck, you need to do maths in your head.
    Like this. (They teach this in trucking school, you know...) If you're in a 50-foot long vehicle, it's probably a bus not a truck. But I digress. With a 53-foot trailer and about 15 feet of tractor, you're about 68 feet long.
    So when you merge, you find a gap that's about 70 feet long and gear jam that thing right in there, using boosters and auxiliary thrusters, with the fifth wheel greasers set on "high." If the DEF is low on the tractor, you'll need to drive slower. With the airbags dumped, it will be a rough ride, but if it's too rough, flip the switch and glide. No coasting, either. Without load bars affixed high and low horizontally, the beer will spill, unless you're on the Lincoln Highway between Breezewood and Bedford trying to save the ten bucks of Turnpike tolls, then you take that effing road at 70 and hail mary, don't lose your lane on that curve, driver, because that will pucker your sphincter controller, it will. Do it at 65, no higher. Merge at a safe speed and never, ever stop on the ramp waiting for a gap.

And you do it safely, of course, all the while observing all local, state, and federal regulations and laws and bylaws and company guidelines and without hurting anyone including yourself.

Hope this helps!

Lepton1 and sirstealth Thank this.
  6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

its near impossible to get to highway speed to merge from a ramp in CA.....

7. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    :biggrin_25524::biggrin_25524::biggrin_25524::laughing-guffaw::laughing-guffaw::laughing-guffaw:

Okay , you are to blame for the pepsi that I was trying to drink now being all over my truck...

8. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    You come down the ramp and get a feel for the flow of traffic , if in doubt slow down ( I had to almost stop twice today ) , don't do what I've seen happen a lot and come down the ramp at full tilt
    and scare cars out of the way. That's a big gamble .
    Rule of thumb wether you're merging or looking for a customer on some side street is don't get yer self in a spot you might not be able to get out of .

9. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Its kind of hard to go the flow of traffic from a ramp especially when the ramp is short and your loaded. Once you get going, time your merge. But once in a while you meet up with a class act trucker or 4wheeler who wont move over or slow down but what can you do? They do have the right of way. Just watch people when they get on from the onramp. Most 4wheelers are driving ms. daisy from the ramp. Most dont turn thier heads to look.

10. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Just curious, but dont they teach you these things in truck school? Do they teach you only the minimum requirements to pass a dmv test? For 5k or whatever it is they charge, I really hope they teach this.

11. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    I'm one of the people that was somewhat harsh and did have a few smart alec comments and I do apologize. I just try to treat everything as a joke and don't take things as serious as I should sometimes. I and most of us on here do have to remember that there was a first day on the road for us at one time, unless someone shot out of the womb and into the drivers seat. The best answer I can give to the OP is when you get on an onramp, have your turn signal on, get up to the best speed that you can, keep watching the traffic and eventually an opening will occur. By no means, do not stop at the end of the ramp unless of course, there is a construction zone with no merge area and then you may have to slow down to an almost stop or even actually stop and wait for an opening, but believe it or not as much as we talk about non courteous drivers, most of the time they will give you room to merge. You do a lot of the times have to be a little on the aggressive side and make things happen to get out there. I don't mean just come out like you are going to run over someone, just hold your ground. Once again sometimes a post will catch us when we are not our best and the comments will come that do not in anyway answer the question and I'm just as guilty sometimes and this was one of those times. We have been told most of our lives, that there is no such thing as a stupid question and it holds true in this case as well. My apologies. Donald aka drifter42.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.