So, I parked my flat and bought this dry van . My experience

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by henboy1, Nov 27, 2019.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    How big of a rate difference would you say your seeing going from flat to van?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's the million dollar question. Even in slow times, a driver can still get a flatbed load easier than dry van, especially if they stay in the right lanes. Spot market freight stinks for most drivers regardless of what type of trailer you pull

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    1st, I say, great idea, climbing around a flat in freezing rain is no day at the beach, and yes, the van will be heavier, think of it as a flat with metal sides and top. Cupping tires( and funky ride) could be wheel bearings, often overlooked, and in Spring, makes a great storage place. At least you didn't do the ultimate foolishness and buy a reefer.

5. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    I'm contemplating doing the same thing, but I think I'm just going to put a conestoga on my flat for the winters and take it off for the spring through fall times.

Dry van rates seem to always be lower and the shippers/receivers seem to treat door swingers as less than human.

Rideandrepair and henboy1 Thank this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm not sure that putting on and taking off a conestoga is that easy and that storing it for the summer is as easy as breaking down a side kit.

Rideandrepair and JonJon78 Thank this.
  7. Opendeckin

May 20, 2018
    the side rails stay on. The headboard unbolts and the rest will slide right off the back.

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Silly me, I was thinking you take the rails off. Do you leave the doohickey at the rear that tighten it?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Opendeckin

May 20, 2018
    Those are usually easily removable for loading/unloading, but I would definitely take them off for the warm season even if you had to unbolt them.

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I run my own authority, and have both a flat and a van. I have ran the van all year, flat rates have been in the toilet all year.

If you run the spot market, you have to know how to run it. I haven't hauled a load under $2 mile in a long long time and don't intend to. If you are one of those guys that have to book a day or too ahead, you will always haul cheap loads off the spot market.

Edit: I should add that I do not run cross country. I stay in a pretty tight area, Midwest/Southeast.

11. Opendeckin

May 20, 2018
    Some say that, but DAT trend lines always show Van's lower year round and last minute booking in a down market is a terrible idea in my experience. Sometimes you'll do well, but just as often you'll end up sitting that day and I expect to profit 400-600 dollars everyday I'm on the road or else why am i living in a truck thousands of miles from home?

How many miles are you getting per week with these $2 + per mile van rates and what's your running mile if you don't mind me asking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.