So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Dodge/Ram/Cummins is my choice as far as trucks. its got a exhaust brake. Go test drive one with the Aisin Trans . Put it in tow haul with the exhaust brake on.

As far as load boards, the ones you mentioned I don't waist my time on them. Check out Getloaded.com, truckstop.com, truckersedge.net, 123loadboard.com . Most of them will give you a 30 day free trial. In that 30 days figure out which one works the best for you in the areas you like to run and then close the accounts on the ones that you don't care for.

And if you plan on mixing freight with vehicles like a lot of us do, check out centraldispatch.com. You'll likely want to keep that account along with a couple of the load boards I mentioned above.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    hello, I got a single axle truck and im thinking about putting it into hotshotting, should I buy a trailer if so should I buy a pup 28', 48' or a goose neck or theres companies that will let me lease the trailer?... planning to use it in the nj,nyc and pa area, any information will be highly appreciated

Big Texas Transport Thanks this.
  4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

If you lease on to someone threre wont be enough money to go around, with a ine truck operation almost all the money goes to the driver, the lease company would get the rest and you would be left with next to nothing, unless you are the driver,

5. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    Any companies In this area??

6. OldAndTired

OldAndTired Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Thanks for all of the information everyone. Almost feel like i'm starting all over again! I have some time to make some of the decisions so everything everyones told me here has been great. Appreciate all of the feedback.

7. StarvingSergeant

StarvingSergeant Bobtail Member

May 4, 2013
    Hello all,
    Im new to the forum and to the trucking business. I retire from the Army in a few months and want to start a hotshot business. I have my cdl a 1996 7.3 f350 dually in good shape, and getting a 40ft PJ hydraulic dovetail trailer. I have been researching all the licenses and the cost of doing it all and I'm confident that I can do it. Can anyone comment on this that I may or may not be heading in the right direction.

8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

If your going to use the 96 it will need some mods to make it last. About 7k but it will make it a good running truck. It has forged rods so its easy to build.

StarvingSergeant Thanks this.
  9. StarvingSergeant

May 4, 2013
    What kind of mods are recommended.
    My plans I have already are:
    Air bags in rear
    Transgo trans shift kit
    Superchips Tuner old 1701
    Turbo down pipe
    Banks Intercooler
    Cat delete

LloydToo and truckon Thank this.
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

You pretty much have it coved.

Fully built trans.

Magtech diff cover.

3In down pipe.

6 position shift on the fly chip.

And get bigger injecters, swamps has good ones, you want 300hp+. The 210 these come with just doesn't cut it.

Trans, EGT, and boost gauges at the least.

Lot of good info on these trucks on the web.

LloydToo Thanks this.
  11. StarvingSergeant

May 4, 2013
    Thanks Truckon, those sound like good mods, they will definitely go on my list of stuff to do, especially the transmission cause I read they have high failure rate.

truckon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.