Some numbers for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Aug 23, 2018.

1. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    oh okay. but its 7 pages on my screen. now 8.

but back on topic.

are these the numbers you are doing? Paying yourself 130k a year? If not what kinda numbers are you doing?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I don't feel comfortable to post on public forum exactly how much I personally make, but every week my trucks work, they gross $5500-$7000 Mon-Fr.
    My numbers should have been way more than $130k, but I had engine failures on both of my trucks, long downtime and I pay my guy even if he sits at home doing nothing, while the truck is in the shop

4. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Where do you get your loads? Are you leased on to a company, 100% load boards (which one), or direct to shipper? If it a ratio of the two whats that?
    Im going to get started out real soon and its hard to find information. Do you think its better to get my own authority straight out the gate or lease on to a company? Im in Nebraska and there are a few companies that are saying 200k-350k a year, 88% of the load. I was thinking doing that for a year or two and then getting my own authority.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You paint a very accurate picture. Especially when taking time off. Bills keep coming in. That has a huge impact on year end totals.Not to mention that’s the best time to do major work... ouch!!! I’ve learned the most about actual earnings by looking back yearly, over 4 yrs etc. So many variables with Trucks . The idea you have to spend $$ to make $$ takes on a whole new meaning. If any business can’t support itself and profit it shouldn’t be done. If I had enough cash to buy a brand New Truck and start a business. I think I would invest the $ and work for someone else. 10 yrs down the road probably be twice as far ahead. Just my opinion.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Grossing with a dry van over $ 5500 - 7000 Mon -Fr with ELDS means that you have mastered the game. I don't have the slightest idea of how I could accomplish that. For instance lately, I started on Mon went to Albany, NY area for $2800 then moved up to Main for Thur for $1200 then deadheaded back to NY and went back home from there for $1400 - 1600 luck depending so it is around 5.5K but it is already Friday pick up so I am back on Saturday afternoon, I have to stay with loaded trailer over the weekend.But still, in my case it is Mon - Mon; not Mon-Fr.
    Without ELDS, it could be possible to squeeze one more move, but the way it is, I can't find enough time to accommodate it. So 3 moves a week for me; 1 makes money, 2nd supplements it, 3rd gets me home for cheap. Sometimes finding a load home is a problem too. If the rates are hot I could see getting $500 - 700 more but not very often. So let's not think that everybody can get easily minimum of 5.5K gross in 5 days. DRY VAN - we're talking about.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I think it depends on your plans. If you only want one truck and be the driver, yeah it might be better to invest the 100k plus and work for someone else. (honestly I think you would come out about even.)
    If your plan is to have a few trucks and not be driving in 10 years it would be better to buy a truck and get started but not cash out on it. Make payments and keep getting new ones once they hit 500k miles. It would cut out a lot of downtime and maintenance.

I wouldnt pay myself 130k, I have no kids I can live off 1k a week and feel like a king.

The only thing I dont like is this doesnt put any money aside for the business other than the 25k a year for maintenance. There is really no plan to expand.

CorsairFanboy and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Here is my last week.
    Detroit-Chicago $850
    Chicago--Des Moines $1400
    Des Moines- Sidney, OH $2000
    Sidney, OH-Milwaukee, WI $850
    Milwaukee, WI-Detroit $1500.
    With deadhead it was about 2200 miles .
    This is nothing crazy and anyone living in the Midwest can do that.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Good rate for Detroit to Chicago!

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    C'mon man, you are being picky. Those are rough numbers. You can pay yourself $30k per year and invest everything else in the business. Or you can spend $50k on maintenance, get sick for a month and your numbers will look very different at the end of the year

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yeah, usually they get moved for under $700 by Chicago backhaulers, but on Monday noon there are usually not many of them in town.
    Today I booked one for $1000, but by the time I finished up the contract, broker gave the load to someone else

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.