Specialized XL question

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Dino soar, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Currently I have a dry van trailer.

I've been looking around for an older low bed mainly just to move my own equipment from property to property and for buying things from the auction, etc.

In looking around at the different low beds that I see for sale, occasionally I see the specialized XL.

I like that they have a nice long deck like 29' or whatever it is. That's plenty of room pretty much to bring any truck back from an auction and move whatever I need to move. I could probably get away with a smaller, less expensive lowbed, but I pretty much could do everything with the specialized XL, so here's my question.

If I purchased a trailer like that would I at all be able to put it to work? That's not really the reason for buying it and I do well with my dry van, however if I'm going to spend money on something it would be nice if it could earn money. Especially if I'm going to spend additional money over what I would for something basically just to move my own things, if you get where I'm going with this.

I am not a heavy hauler and I am not looking to become a heavy hauler. What you guys do is highly specialized work and honestly I don't know enough about it to even stick my toe in the water. I do have quite a bit of experience moving equipment with a 35 ton low bed, but very little oversized.

If it is possible to put that trailer to work could anyone point me in the right direction for where I can I could look? Not looking for anyone's contacts or any privileged information just an idea about how to put that kind of a trailer to work.

Also could it do any flatbed work or step work? Are there brokered loads that could be put on that kind of a trailer?

I generally only run about 2 to 3 hours from home base if that makes any difference.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Construction Lowboy - XL Specialized Trailers

Good looking trailer, that should handle many types of work.
    If you do decide to go for it, look into rental stores, small equipment dealerships that don't own their own truck, shops, loggers, that sort of stuff. Go to them in person, shake hands with the owner or manager. Let them know that if they need something not to large and heavy moved, they can call you, and leave them your business card. Lots of smaller companies like to meet people face to face still, and a firm handshake. We just hauled 5 skidsteers for a small Kubota dealer. We haul equipment to mines, loggers, construction sites, and for shops to and from. Around here a website or yellow pages ad mean nothing. Walking in their door with a smile on your face and a firm handshake, that means everything. Unless you live in a large city, then it seems different rules apply.
    Best of luck to you.

Speedy356, Siinman, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

That's some good advice but I'll add a couple of things.
    If you have a RGN for hire be ready to go with no delay whenever the phone rings. Your first few calls will probably be from people whose regular lowbed isn't available and they need stuff moved now. Yesterday would be even better. Grab a sandwich on the way out the door 'cause you might not eat again till tomorrow.
    I don't know about your area but around here we have two seasons when things are extremely busy. There's the Annual Spring Panic when all the loggers, farmers, and construction guys all decide that it's time to go to work and they all want stuff moved yesterday.
    The other busy season is the Yearly Fall Panic. It usually starts the day after the first rain of the Fall and it dawns on everybody that winter is coming. Again. They all have little jobs they've been putting off that need finished and stuff that needs to be moved as soon as you can.
    Make a list, first come first served unless you can backhaul another customer between regular jobs. Don't get caught playing favorites. You will take care of your best customers first, just be cool about it.
    Oh...put big work lights on whatever you're pulling the RGN with. You'll need them.
    You probably know all this stuff already.

Dino soar, truckdad, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    100_1603.JPG
    All kinds of freight for that trailer.
    But you better hurry,cuz Boris and the white volvo gang have been buying RGN's and hauling for peanuts

PSM379, OLDSKOOLERnWV, stwik and 9 others Thank this.
  6. Pamela1990

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Great post.

This should be a sticky post, at the top of the forum forever.
    Remember that some places need miscellaneous things moved as well. Could be fuel tanks, generators, buckets, tracks, tires, yarder boom sections, and anything else that you could possibly imagine. Don't be scared to ask them for instructions on best way to chain it down if you're not sure.
    Lastly, take good notes on directions given. Turn off the hwy to head up into the bush, then you have 7 more turns to make, it can get confusing fast. But eventually you will find the skidder, dozer, or whatever. You won't be moving anything big with that trailer, so learn sizes and weights, so you know to say no to that buncher or processor right away. They are heavier than they look.
    I find bunchers especially deceiving. A quick glance and I figure 70k lbs, then find it is actually 100k.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Another tip...make sure you haul the right piece of equipment. If there are three D-6s parked in a line make sure you get the one that's supposed to go. Otherwise, instead of a payday, all you're going to get is practice.
    And yeah, I learned that one the hard way.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  8. Pamela1990

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Lol.
    My baby sister moves a lot of equipment, and took the wrong skidder to a shop several years ago.
    We still tease her about that.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I'd look into getting an older hydraulic dove/flip tail or traveling axle trailer like a Traileze or Landoll. Lots of stuff can be moved on them. If you plan on doing it locally though be ready to fight tooth and nail for the business. It can literally get violent where I'm from. Call around and find out what the rates are like in your area too so you don't come in and stomp on them.

Dino soar and cke Thank this.
  10. ETMF 58 White

ETMF 58 White Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Here is my experience, from owning a RGN for my own construction equipment moving: There will be hardly anything worth hauling on the load boards, too cheap, too tall, some reason that the shipper’s regular specialized RGN carrier was not available. You might get some local work if you pursue it in person with the rental agencies or dealers. Also, you need high dollar cargo insurance to haul RGN freight, and if it involves port work you need TWIC.
    You can’t use it for flatbed or step deck work because 29 feet is not 48 feet, and instead of weighing 30,000 empty you now weigh 42 or 44k.
    My RGN is a necessary tool for my dozers and excavators and all that stuff, but the revenue it generates is small compared to the dump trailers and stepdecks.

11. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Same thing here too. And don’t forget to calculate the arch into the height if you don’t have enough weight to level it out or find a trailer with no arch if you want max height and low weight.

Pamela1990, cke and Dino soar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.