Stab breaking or continuous light pressure

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by carsonallen1977, Sep 1, 2012.

1. BigJim1937

BigJim1937 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    Yes I do know what power braking is. It is most commonly used to get yourself out of a jackknife situation. You accelerate your truck while feathering your trailer brakes. For steep slopes you downshift , go flat to the mat, slowly release the accelerator and feather your brakes. Not commonly used on pavement more a cutline, logging road trick.

carsonallen1977 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carsonallen1977

carsonallen1977 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2012
    I drove Schniders old ### cabovers, and I think some of their trailors did not have anti locks or something. cuz evereytime I went down hill in the proper gear the load would push my rpms up and I would snub break them back down again.

Which leads me back to, is it possible to come down a grade with no jake and a heavy load, while in such a low gear that you do not have to touch the break ? (unless an emergencey)

good news is I won't be going out this winter, so maybe my trainor next spring will let me take passes without the jake for practice.

Thanks for all your replies. I anticipate them.

4. BigJim1937

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    Yes it is I have been doing it for years. Had one truck that I had been using for 6 years never touched the brakes, move to a different location, took the truck in for a safety the guy asked if I had the brakes done I said no they are the originals that came with the truck. He didnt believe me he said they looked almost brand new.Brakes are for stopping everything else is done with your engine and transmission.

5. BigJim1937

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    Oh and by the way I regularly run the Crowsnest and Rodgers passes in British Columbia I am through them a couple times a week in a good month. I have so much practise chaining I can do it in under 10 minutes.

6. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    the 1st year i drove big truck i got a dedicated route and chained 57 times that winter

you learn quick the faster the chains are on the less chance you have of getting ran over and sprayed with slush and it is much warmer inside the truck

hup Thanks this.
  7. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    why do you take some many steps??

10 minutes for a set of singles on the drives easy. another 10 for the trailer if you put those on

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
    DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  8. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    I NEVER use my jake in rain, snow, or ice. If I do, it's by accident. If the roads are salted,and I feel safe on them, then yes, the jake is on. It starts sliding, I turn it off.

Key to keeping control: NEVER let the trailer start passing you.

NWMAXI Thanks this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    About right...20-25 minutes tractor/trailer!

NWMAXI Thanks this.
  10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    How long do YOU think it takes?

Not criticizing...asking!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    About an hour to get everything right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.