Stay with Dayton or move to Fed Ex Freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Shaner.STL, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Shaner.STL

Shaner.STL Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Thanks @Buckeye91 ! The assistant terminal manager is in charge of the D2D program. He said he would be working nights later this week and would talk w me more about it then. They did start me training as a spotter last night. I asked about it Fri night and they had me training Mon nite. Pretty cool of them. I worked on backing- straight line and 90 degree to get it in the hole. Straight line wasn’t a problem. 90 degree I did ok but I could see how tough it would be with trailers on each side. Going to take a lot of practice and hopefully I get to do so. The supervisor said he’s going to try to get me out there for a bit every night.

Cardfan89 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Awesome. Sounds like you did right to stay in their ear about getting started!

Shaner.STL Thanks this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    My guess is that if you came in and told them you'd gotten your CDL with all endorsements on your own it wouldn't hurt anything. That towing place sounds fine, you're going to practice on their trucks anyway, and maybe someday they'll need a hand and you'll be licensed. I've been suddenly field-promoted many times, just gotta be ready.

5. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    You made the right decision.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Wait, Dayton ONLY requires 5 bills to be moved per hour?!? FXF ONLY requires 8 bills per hour?!?!!!!

HOLY CRAP, i'm with the wrong company; Here at UPS freight you better have a whole pup unloaded in an hour or you're deemed "NOT PRODUCTIVE." See, we only care about numbers, number, numbers, and more numbers. Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. Numbers, Numbers, Numbers. Numbers are more important than LIFE ITSELF.
    If you can't produce numbers, you are WORTHLESS as human being and should DIE.
    (Actually, it's still not THAT bad:confused:)

i worked the dock a little when i was with FXF; We would do outbound when we came in after finishing your runs. It wasn't that bad. This could depend on terminal to terminal though. We did it at the time because they were having trouble finding dockworkers; The terminal was new.

So, do you mostly unload pups or vans at Dayton? Or does Dayton not even use pups (another plus about working at Dayton?) ?

Shaner.STL Thanks this.
  7. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    P.S.
    FXF has A LOT of Kenworths; This alone makes them AS good, if not better then everyone else.

We have a few, but not enough to go around.........

Shaner.STL Thanks this.
  8. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    P.P.S.
    To confuse the issue further, we have a revamped dock-to-driver program. It's laid back and good.

Despite everything i've stated (and it's true) about UPSF, it's really not THAT bad. Atmosphere still good.

Shaner.STL Thanks this.
  9. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Dayton has no pups. 40-53’ trls.

10. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Volvo>>>Kenworth;)

MidWester and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  11. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    OD also requires 5 bills an hour. #### @Russian Rabbit UPS really work you guys like crazy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.