Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I certainly have no reason to doubt you. You seem like a pretty straight forward guy.

May your tribe increase!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Get used to it. People here tell me that all the time. Just keep killing it and telling your story. Fantastic job.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    spyder7723 and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I said, within the past few months, that by May things would dramatically improve. COVID19 has ruined that. The initial surge is over to refill shelves and volumes are dropping, rates along with it. I think things will become further depressed until next Spring. All indicators point towards another global recession. I think it’s about to get a lot harder to make money. However, a lot of capacity will be removed from the market and next spring we might see a situation like 2017 and 2018 where you could name your price and people would pay it. Again, cash is king, do whatever you can to increase your cash and avoiding making large cash expenditures.

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am hoping that the excess capacity will be removed within next 6 months and by this October the rates will go up substantially. Similarly to 2017.
    How many and for how long can run for 1.5 per loaded mile?

Scooter Jones and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I can do it for awhile but I don't plan to.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I can/could, especially if fuel continues to be a $1.00 per gallon (on average) less than the same time last year.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yes. It may be about how much money is left after fuel and hoping there are no major breakdowns.

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  9. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yep, really sucks what some people in the government have done to the economy. There was never a need to shut the country down.

10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    BTW I just fueled in AL for 1.69 using Fleet one Edge.
    Who would have thought a few months back...?

11. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I had my first real breakdown Tuesday afternoon. My EGR valve went out. The EGR valve itself was completely clean, no carbon build up. It was a mechanical failure of the valve itself. I had just picked up the load and the broker was losing his mind. Apparently this load was already a day behind and now I was down. He wanted me to take it back to the shipper. I still had some power, so I took it back 10 miles.
    Luckily, there was a dealer that could actually work on it. They diagnosed and ordered the part Tuesday, pulled me in as soon as they opened Wednesday, and I was done by 1700. To do the EGR valve they have to take apart the dash, remove the dog house, and remove the passenger seat. Since they had everything apart anyway, I had them do the valve adjustment. It’s due for it and I was going to do it when I get home. May as well do it now and save me a bunch of labor hours. They’d have to disassemble the interior all over again.
    In addition to the EGR valve face being clean, the inside of the valve cover and top end had no sludge or varnish buildup, it still looks clean in there. The A26 is running really clean. 302,300 on the engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.