Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Man I sure hate to hear that. What brand engine is it? I know it’s too late either way but I’ve utilized Cummins XT1 Encore 2nd owner warranty a lot in the past. Something to think about when buying a used truck in the future. Sorry again about your bad luck. :(

Lostkeys Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    D13

4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    So far, they can’t find where the fuel is coming from. Pressurized the head and no leaks, pressurized the fuel pump itself, no leaks. They’ve got the big heads at Volvo involved now.

5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Today was a first. I grabbed a shower at the TA really early this morning. I went to turn the deadbolt to leave and the knob turns but not the deadbolt. I was locked in the shower stall. Luckily, I had my phone on me, I usually leave it in the truck. I called the counter and they came to let me out. He bent the first key, because it wouldn’t turn for him either. He got the backup key. After a few tries, it finally turned. One of the girls had her phone ready to call the manager that I was trapped in there. I told him you might want to take that shower out of service until you get a new lock.

6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    This month has worked out pretty well. I deliver Friday in NY and be looking for a long haul back to the Midwest so I can go home next week. I might hit 20k this month and about 1.90 on all miles if I find something a little decent. This Friday will be two whole weeks of running East of 81 and North of 76. Lots of short runs.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    ####, 290k miles and the bearings failed? Did that truck have oil changes done before? What fleet did it come from?
    I would expect something like that from Cummins, but have never heard of a D13 failing that early.

8. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Fuel in oil will eat the bearings up pretty quick.

9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Scary stuff. I'd love to know the outcome. I'm no expert but I've never heard of this in that low mileage of any motor.

10. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    It’s still being assessed. I got the oil sample back and no fuel. There were several markers for coolant; sodium and boron, and copper had spiked. The oil was over full by a lot, the driver sent me a picture of the dipstick when he checked it. I think he caught it early, before it did a lot of damage. Volvo is trying to say there isn’t an issue at all. I think that’s a load of BS. I have almost 30ppm on the copper, 100ppm sodium, 40ppm boron, a dipstick showing almost 2 gallons over full, bearings that two technicians say need replaced, but Volvo is saying they think it’s fine. It’s a back and forth with the dealer and whoever they’re talking with at Volvo. This oil was just changed 10k miles ago and there was nothing in that sample at all.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I like the Volvo, but this one I got has had a lot of issues. Several sensors, turbo actuator, fuel spirting out of the line to the 7th injector, only getting 6.2 mpg, and now this. When I drive a 2012 Volvo at Knight with a vanilla fleet spec and a 9 speed, I was getting 7.2. This truck has the Ishift, down sped drivetrain, and an APU. I thought it was a good deal with such low miles, guess not. I’m only planning on keeping those trucks two years, so I can get new stuff, these used trucks will put you out of business. I’m renting a truck from the carrier right now so the driver can keep moving. The Freightliner seems to be doing well. Had a few corrosion items to fix, batteries, a new fifth wheel, but is doing pretty good, 7.6 mpg on that one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.