Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    The GHG phase 2 regulations are about efficiency and not emissions. Although, there is a new movement called the cleaner trucks initiative that is seeking tighter emissions regulations on trucks, something to keep an eye on. I’m not worried about phase 2 causing problems.
    I’m not sure what they’re planning. They have only said they’ll have a fully integrated Powertrain available in 2021. They’ve been expanding the plant in Alabama to get ready to build the stuff, assembly of the trucks themselves is still in Mexico.
    I’ve had the same experience with used trucks, they cost a massive amount of money. I’m not sure why these used trucks are such a money pit. I’m convinced the majority of used trucks on the market have nothing done but oil changes and grease jobs, driven foot to the floor everywhere, and none of the manufacturer scheduled maintenance items are done.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Is this phase 2 the reason oems are going to aero trucks?
    I think you are correct on why used emission trucks cost so much in maintenance. Most are fleet trucks and fleets trade them in when warranty expires.
    What do you think the 2021s will produce for fuel mileage?

4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I was wrong, it’s 2021 2024 and 2027. It started with 2017, so four stages. It’s about 2% increase in mpg for each stage. By 2027, you’d be 8-10% more efficient than a 2016 model of the same spec. Most of what you saw in the super truck programs will be available by 2027. I think by 2027, the trucks will look like those super truck models. Similar to what we have, but some small changes decreasing drag.
    Also, by the end of phase 2, and something no one is really talking about, my salesman explained it to me. All dealers will have to comply. Each OEM will have a number of credits to use based on GHG, green house gas, limits. Every option related to power train will have a value assigned to it, as well as engine ratings. If you spec a Peterbilt 389 with a 605hp Cummins Performance, 3.42 rears, 24.5 rubber, and an 18spd manual, that generates a massive amount of credits. Where something like I have would generate very little. This system will limit what a buyer can get on a truck and even what model they can get. The EPA is trying to softly force you to spec only the most fuel efficient spec available. I’ve read some people complaining they’re outlawing hood trucks; not really, but your ability to get one is going to be severely limited by the manufacturer. They’re going to save those high credit trucks for applications that really need it. GHG phase 2 will change a lot of things once it’s complete.
    The International Super Truck was the Catallist, you can find pictures and video of it. I fully expect that will be in the road by 2027, and other OEMs will be similar.

Constant Learner Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Something else I’m doing when I get home. I currently run the fuel catalyst that Pittsburgh Power sells, manufactured by a company called Better Diesel FBC. It seems to work as advertised, reducing soot and decreasing DEF consumption, mine went down by 25%. I’m going to order a concentrated cetane additive from a company called Primrose. It’s similar to the catalyst in that it’s highly concentrated, 1oz per 25g, and addresses a specific issue, cetane. There are other cetane products out there, but they also have a bunch of other additives I don’t want and don’t have much confidence in anyway. This stuff, Primrose 405C is only a cetane improver, nothing else. Joel Morrow of Ploger Transportation, I recommend you check him out on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, runs cetane additive in their bulk fuel and swears by it. He does a lot of work with Mack and their turbo compound engine and liftable 6x2 and pushes out huge numbers. He runs pretty light with the lift axle up over 50% of the time, the numbers are still impressive though, and he drives much faster than I do.

6. Lostkeys

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Is Joel the guy that is on KRs show every week?

7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I think he comes on there Fridays now in the segment about fuel mileage. I read a lot of his updates as well as Henry Albert with Team Run Smart and Freightliner.

8. Lostkeys

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    A couple weeks ago on KRs show, one of them guys said that there were some issues with the a26 connecting rods. Have you heard anything about that?

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    There is a recall out about it. It was only some engines. It was traced back to the company that supplies the rods and their machinery being out of spec. The vast majority would fail in the first 100k miles. Mine has been fine at 324k miles. The weak rods have been resolved and only affected a small number.

Lostkeys Thanks this.
  10. Lostkeys

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    How do you measure reduced soot?

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    You can see it in the oil sample by watching how fast TAN increases, or total acid number. Soot increases acidity. It’s increasing much slower since running it, so I’m doing 75k changes now, I was sticking with 50k because of TAN.

Midwest Trucker and Lostkeys Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.