Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Problem with a lot of older guys is a lot of them believe is you aren't driving a "hood" you're not driving a real truck. Nothing wrong with driving a "hood" and in some circumstances it can have a cheaper lifetime cost than an aero truck. Not many circumstances but there are some. For general freight hauling an aero truck will just about win every time. You'll never see a hood avg 9mpg over a lifetime.

mladen86 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I don’t know yet, haven’t had one of them ask for it yet. There’s a lot of ways to provide a retirement account. Cross that bridge when they want to do it.

4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I should have a lot wrapped up tomorrow, get decals done Thursday, and be able to get them on the road Friday. I haven’t seen the Freightliner in person since March. It needs new tires on the tag axle, those were the old steer tires from the two trucks, didn’t have much tread to begin with. It needs two new steer tires, those are only 4 months old, the last driver ran them under inflated and wore off the shoulder rib, outside on passenger side, and inside on driver side, down to 5/32 already. I told him to run them at 120, I checked them at the dealer, 95psi. Only maintenance left is the APUs on both trucks need attention. The TK on the Freightliner has one of two blowers out, the carrier has a bad HVAC breaker. Nothing that will break the bank, but I need them working. Fresh federal annuals done. Almost there. I’m ready to be done and get back on the road. This stuff stresses me out.

Rugerfan, Lostkeys, mladen86 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    How is your business 3 years later? Do you have multiple trucks now? Any dedicated lanes?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    3 trucks total, putting everything under my authority now. I wouldn’t call it dedicated, I use the load board like most people. I run the same lanes all the time, and see many of the same places. Lots of Midwest to Northeast, New England, and back.
    I’ve had two major setbacks. The KW I bought and had to get rid of, and now this Volvo. Terrible fuel mileage and thousands in maintenance. The money I make on my truck has been what’s kept me in business. I’m not doing bad, despite all that, and COVID19. I could be much farther ahead though.

ChevyCam, blacklabel, Lostkeys and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sometimes I get thinking I need to hire anywhere I run, vs locally only. All my trucks come back to the yard but it does make hiring MUCH more difficult. I appreciate you sharing your story so it reminds me that the grass isn’t always greener.

Lostkeys, Orange713 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  8. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Getting the decals finished up today and will have everything on the road Monday. The Freightliner took a dump on me yesterday and wouldn’t start. I got it jumped to get it to THermoking for APU work, found several problems there, including the alternator. Tested batteries, all were bad, replaced those, finally got the refrigerator in it, still have to get tires on it tomorrow. The tire shop ordered in 2 Hankook AL21 steers and 4 AH37s for the tag axle. I call this morning to check in that. The place forgot to ship the AL21s and his salesman sold my AH37s. So, now I’ll be buying either Yokohama, Bridgestone, or Continental tomorrow. The refrigerator cane in without the mounting hardware, he finally tracked it down to get in before they close today. Decals almost didn’t get done because of the weather. Everything really went downhill yesterday.

Lostkeys, Tug Toy and Rugerfan Thank this.
  9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I got in the Freightliner this morning to do the tires and it’s doing the same thing; lots of codes and won’t go over 3mph, it’s in limp mode. Batteries are fine. There is a communication issue somewhere. It had to have happened when they took the old ELD out and put the new one in. There’s no other cause I can think of that would cause everything to go crazy like it is, all gauges are off too. I’ll have to deal with that Monday.
    Picked up my other driver so he can take the Volvo near his house get hooked up to the trailer and he’s spewing air out of the tractor protection valve. Everything checked out, but now I’m sitting here with him getting the new protection valve installed.
    I don’t know what it is about me, but I seem to have issues like this way too often.

Tug Toy and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Sounds like you got a lot on your plate lately. I wonder if an expansion like that has to stay this way. Always something.

Tug Toy and Orange713 Thank this.
  11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Picked up my new guy in Harrisonville, MO today to bring him down. I think he’ll be a good one. Seems mature enough. Showed him the truck and trailer he’ll be driving and he thought they were great; didn’t complain about the color or lack of chicken lights. I explained to him the 6x2 and how that works with the load transfer and stuff. I’ll get it figured out tomorrow and be trying to get all this moving for Tuesday.
    Round trip, the 3.0 Duramax got 31mpg. I was 36.4 on the way up and lost some on the return trip.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.