Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Jax was a total mess the year before. This year i went up north. I doubt I'll ever choose to run out of jax again. The hubs up in the Midwest are so much better organised.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I'm back on track now after my door being knocked off. Got myself hooked up back to Ochelata, OK for the 16th and grab another big load out of AR. I have a delivery tonight in upstate NY and I booked a load out of the same city. I looked up their address and the place is literally right next door. Couldn't have planned it better if I tried. I think this is the third time I've lucked into that.

Dave_in_AZ and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Well I'm finally back in Arkansas for a few days. My big deal I'm working on is adding a truck and I've hired a guy. He was my former trainee when I was at Knight. The deal I have with him is to bring him on as a company driver and transition him into owning the truck I bought. He wants to be an O/O but has dug himself into a hole financially and I'm structuring this deal to be his training wheels to get out on his own.

I bought another 2011 Utility with a Carrier and an old CFI KW T660. I added an APU and refrigerator to it. It's a clean truck, especially for an old fleet truck. Has a Cummins, 10 spd direct manual, 2.53 ratio, super singles, and it's a 6X2.

I'm at Summit tonight and went to check it out in person. Someone left the key on and it was dead. We jumped it and I showed him the batteries aren't charging. They're going to put it on the charger all night but I think one or more batteries is toast now. Otherwise I'm pleased with it.

The driver doesn't know it yet but once his drug test is done and he takes the truck home for the weekend, I'm giving him a 1000.00 sign on bonus as he's been at home a week waiting on all this to happen. He's sick of being treated like dirt and I'm hoping I can make this a good experience for him.

He's being paid 22% of the revenue plus 950 a month in per diem. His average gross compensation each month will be 5500-6000 dollars based on my averages thus far.

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011

Misesian Thanks this.
  6. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    With higher diesel prices you must have been charging higher rates and giving more to the driver. If diesel prices decrease and your revenue, drivers compensation will decrease aswell but he will be performing the same. How will this work?

rollin coal Thanks this.
  7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Even if rates drop considerably over my current levels, his pay will still be well above average. Also, percentage is better in my case because I don't run a lot of miles. I do a lot of short runs and percentage is the best way to go.

rollin coal and RStewart Thank this.
  8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Good luck man. I hope it all works out. You're doing right by transitioning him to an o/o instead of trying to keep company drivers. At least in my opinion.

Dave_in_AZ and Misesian Thank this.
  9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Picture of the new truck and trailer.

IMG_2524.JPG

10. Mark Griz

Mark Griz Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Great thread, Misesian. Good luck this year!

Misesian Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I've noticed in your thread Misesain that you are leaning towards more direct relationships with brokers. From my observations of other reefer haulers, that's the predominant model - establish a few solid contacts or even one and stick to it - reduce loadboard dealing. I like this model better but it seems that the spot market is the only way to make money for a dry van and a solo guy, that means that you can't stick to one broker base and use the spot market efficiently. I also noticed by observing other reefer owners, that they never solicited themselves per say, these relationships solidified themselves in natural course of things - you do a good service for a good pay and they want to use you over and over again, and you don't mind sticking to them as they pay well. With a dry van, it seems more as a freight hunting, there is much less repetitiveness of brokers - the same individuals Yes, they remember you, sometimes call you, but the market prohibits them to give you the same rate every time. With a reefer it seems different.

Misesian Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.