Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi

94 grand. Wow. I know a new one is 80 easy. But can we talk about cost vs payback for just a minute. I agree the Utility is um idk just weird. They love themselves over there. I currently have a 2006 with a 2015 TK brand new on it. It’s a heavy sled. I do everything to minus 10 and even dry van as I have the side chutes. Its paid for and just turned 4500 hours on the unit. I do not go to California for any reason or money. Been there done that. I would like to know if you got a TK unit and I assume you sprung for the new Evergreen which is getting rave reviews. I just question does it need to be brand new? As we all know there are great deals out there on 16 and 17 for in the 40 to 55 range. Now I get it if you do something really specialized maybe I could buy it new.

I bought a new truck in Oct of 16 in 8 more months she is all mine. Sure it will have 400 k on it. But hasn’t missed a day of work yet. Sure we have been to the shop with CPR in progress but they always got it out same day and no late loads.

I talked to my local trailer guys they just laugh he says every new trailer is spoken for. That’s a WoW in my book.

You got a good thread here.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m financing the new one for 6 years at 1242 a month or if they only give me 5, it will be about 1450 a month. I’m paying 875 a month on what I have now and drinks fuel. I’ve been paying extra on my current trailer at 1100 a month. The cost difference isn’t that great. There are plenty of used trailers but they don’t have the specs I want regarding the reefer unit, insulation, axle width, super Singles, type of bulkhead, etc. If I’m spending this kind of money, I want a trailer with my exact specs that I know will improve fuel mileage, via aero devices, and efficiency from the reefer unit. You can put a new unit on an old trailer, dealers do it all the time to get more money from you, but the problem on the older trailer is not the reefer but the insulation, liner, subpan, and floor. These things have substantial losses in efficiency by the time you reach 7 years.
    Frozen loads are the large majority of what I do. I get some fresh meat here and there. I have hauled 2 dry loads since starting this last May. I’ve got to have maximum performance for the volume of frozen I do.

Dave_in_AZ, Tug Toy and RStewart Thank this.
  4. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I agree there is a big drop off in side walls. Etc. Do you really need super singles? Very expensive road call?? I can always take my newer unit off and put on a new trailer if I want. 5 to 8 hours labor. How much fuel is it drinking say at fresh 34 and minus 10 Mine is .5 fresh and .75gal/ hr below 85 degrees out side temp

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’ll always run singles. Less weight, better fuel mileage, and easy to take care of. I get great wear out of the ones I have. The only time I’ve had issues was when my trailer cane with recaps and I ended up dumping them ASAP after two failed. Onesingle is the same price as two duals. The cost per wheel end is the same.

You’re correct on the fuel rate. But when it runs all day and most the night and never shuts off? I’ve been spending about 1000.00 a month on reefer fuel. That is way too much. With a new trailer and unit spec’d to my needs, I’m confident I can cut my fuel bill by at least 30% not too mention the different aero device im getting will give me a bump in fuel mileage as well.

Dave_in_AZ and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    What's your current fuel mileage now? What type of aero setup are you getting with the new trailer that is different from your current one? Your net difference between what your paying now in your current trailer and what you'll be paying on your new trailer is going to almost eat up any improved fuel savings you're talking about. If it's truly a 30% savings that's $300 a month but you're hoping your payments by that much if not more depending on the 5 year or 6 year term. I'm trying see how the numbers make sense to get a new trailer at that price tag.

I'm sure you've ran them and have a solution, would be nice to see how you arrived at your conclusion.

CaptainDaveG Thanks this.
  7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    With this different aero device, new insulation, and moving away from a fully belt driven reefer, it will more than offset the additional 300 bucks max this new one will cost a month. The 30% is a conservative estimate. The unit alone, claims a 26% savings, not too mention another .10 mpg from the different style of skirt I’m going with. At worst, it will be a wash as far as money is concerned but I gain a trailer that will actually maintain temp and not have to scream at high speed all day and all reach temp at night once or twice, as well as reduced maintenance cost. I have ABS gremlins right now and with the reefer running so much on the frozen loads, that’s going to catch up to me as well. I’ll also have the ability to default into low speed when it’s being loaded or unloaded. There are still plenty of places that will not let me turn it off. That also saves money and maintenance. This particular reefer unit is also designed to dramatically lower costs compared to a traditional fully belt driven design. The goal is to run it for 7 years with 1-2 years of it being paid for and repeat the process again. If you look at it in the 7 year big picture, it is most definitely a good deal.
    I even have it spec’d with a certain interior liner that’s more durable than the standard liners you see in most trailers, the axles are wide track, maximizing tire life, composite-bonded scuff instead of aluminum, etc. Anything I could think off to drive down costs and eliminate maintenance events, I’ve put it into this trailer. I wanted to do 2.5” walls but I wouldn’t be able to get 30 pallets without running the risk of tearing up the walls too much, so Ingad to stick with 2” there. Even the landing gear is something not standard and requires zero service and has a 10 year warranty.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    It sounds like you've done your homework well on this one. I look forward to seeing if the results match the sales pitch. To bad we have to wait until January!

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m wiring the guy the deposit today and the order will be officially placed tomorrow. I’ll get the trailer between January and March.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  10. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Ran my fuel for the quarter and I got 8.63 mpg. I’d really like to get it closer to 9 but most of my loads are 72k and up with only a few lighter loads here and there in the 65-68k range and I’ve maybe done two loads that were around 58-60k this quarter, deadhead was 16% overall. I get my worst fuel mileage going across the turnpike in PA and when I have to run south from PA, MD, DE to NC, GA, SC, and AL. Especially when I’m leaving DE until I get past Richmond heading South.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Good mpg. @Misesian
    So does the truck replacement pay for itself by better fuel mileage as opposed to the old one you got rid of? No trouble with A26 so far?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.