Stuck in Reno, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Boogers, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Boogers

Boogers Light Load Member

It's not like I would go speeding through at 60mph. I would take it slow and steady in the 25-35 mph range.

I may be a newbie, but I'm not a stupid kid. At 40 yrs old..with 20+ years of general driving experience ....I do know a little about being safe.

With 2 wonderful children, I too have a lot to live for. Not to mention my concern for all the other people who share the road with me and depend on me to drive safe.

Some of you " old crustys" seem to think you have a monopoly on safe driving, and talk to newbies as if they are 18 yr old kids. Be advised, many of us are not. Many of us just may be able to drive a truck better than you! ....just sayin.

Having years of experience doesn't mean one is automaticaly a good driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    Don't let them get to you.
    My son was a rookie last year and on his 3rd load his trainer made him chain it up and go over. His trainer said it's winter and it's time to learn. So up and over he went. Your trainer is, well, scared. And not taking advantage of this major learning opportunity.

Boogers and the flying scotsman Thank this.
  4. Prioritypete

Prioritypete Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas,nv
    Sounds like the company has a don't chain unless it's necessary to get to a safe place policy

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  5. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Company policy says no, what's there to think about?

6. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Follow company policy, but ask the trainer to do his job, and teach you how to chain. If there ever is a time that you will need to chain, you will have to know how. This is a perfect time to learn.

ewill71 and lonewolf4ad Thank this.
  7. the flying scotsman

the flying scotsman Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I am a rookie who aspires to be a trucker, not just a truck "driver", Ive chained up on siskiyou, snoqualmie, and cabbage this season already.

It was my decision to do it as im paid to get the load there on time safely, if you feel you cannot chain up and drive with chains on then dont, do what makes you feel comfortable, i feel completely comfortable driving with chains on.

above all, be safe and do what is within your abilities

8. gnavillus

gnavillus Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Idaho Falls, ID
    I'm on your side and would chain up, on the other hand if your stuck there either pull in to Boomtown and have some Lobster or relax at the Alamo....

9. Boogers

Boogers Light Load Member

I think you hit the nail on the head.
    It's a perfect opportunity to learn who to handle the truck in winter conditions. I've seen the web cams on the passes and it's not all that bad....it IS California after all. The orginal " Nanny State" ...they require chains if their is a snowflake within 100 miles of a pass. :biggrin_25515:

It is pretty chill here at the Alamo though! ... I must admit, cept this Super 8 internet connection I'm piggy backin off of....sucks!, but it' free so I digress.

10. Dewey120

Dewey120 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Hopefully you are still getting paid trainee pay for sitting there. Went over Donner on Monday and about 6-7 trucks were stuck trying to get over summit since they couldn't get traction. Snow plow operator was sitting there eating a sandwich, must be nice.

11. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    I will say this my sons trainer was an O/O with over 30 years of winters under his belt. If you are with one of the MEGA carriers and stuck with a trainer who has less than a year under theirs. You are better off sitting it out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.