Support Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products. (part two)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I had no idea this function was availble. beats landing in the neighbors exit..

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    For now you can just copy the longitude/latitude from google maps satellite view.

dca Thanks this.
  4. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    This is not a bug.All maps are based on physical known addresses so unless the truck entrance has its own separate street address the gps will not recognise it.You can add a via using the lat/long function as long as the map database knows the street or road going to that location eg:if goggle maps shows a road that is not in the Rand database and you try and put a destination to that road it won't take it even if you use the lat/long function.The only way this could be done is with Topo maps.The gps will route you close but only to the point where it has known addresses in its database.

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I beg to differ.

Take TA in Morris, IL. Say that instead of going in the main entrance and dealing with all the mouth breathers by the fuel island, you want to go in the back way:
    Screenshot_2016-09-01-19-06-31-1.jpg

So you plug in TA Morris into the RM and it gives you the default address:
    20160901_190227.jpg

Being the crafty trucker you are, you don't accept the default address and instead click "go to map" and move the crosshairs to the back entrance:

20160901_190304.jpg

You then click "route to here" and everything is hunky dory (if this is your only destination).

Now do the same procedure, only using the TA as a via:
    20160901_190337.jpg
    (see how the "add as via" option is no longer greyed out)

Click "go to map" again and move the crosshairs to the back entrance:
    20160901_190431.jpg

Now click "add as via" and WTFbbq:
    20160901_190512.jpg
    (there is another screen layer on top of the expected screen -- note the "ok" box covering the distance).

Black text covering the header:
    20160901_190550.jpg

Note that this does not happen if instead of entering the address first, you simply type in the longitude/latitude that google gives:
    Screenshot_2016-09-01-19-19-07-1.jpg

Definitely a bug...

classic_150 Thanks this.
  6. classic_150

classic_150 Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    South Dakota
    I have seen that on my 730 as well

double yellow Thanks this.
  7. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    I would think that the problem is created because your via comes after the address fed into the route.It seems to me that you can't add multiple destinations to one address.If your entrance was before the actual address then it would probably take it and that's why if you just enter the one destination eg: the lat/long destination it works ok.I have always gone to the parking areas of truck stops and then saved that location to my address book and named it accordingly and never had any issues also with shippers and receivers when the docks were not located right at the address where the gps sent me.
    I still don't think it's a bug,just a matter of how a location is entered into the unit.

8. billindelicato

billindelicato Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Having an issue out of Detroit 2 weeks in a row trying to get to buffalo I get rerouted an extra 1200 miles....

9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What are your settings? Are you staying in the US or cutting through Canada? IF staying in US, turn off Cross Country Borders - Preferences/Route/Cross Country Borders.

Through Canada - 249 miles
    Through US - 361 miles

Allow/Prefer in US both about 361 miles.

Sounds like you might an avoid segment somewhere.

Thanks,
    Mark

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What version are you on? I tried it and it works.

Thanks,
    Mark

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    RM tries to set the Truck Stop POI's to the fuel Island Lat/Long to correctly route you instead of to the business address in front.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.