Swift or Community College?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by daniphoenix, Sep 9, 2019.

1. daniphoenix

daniphoenix Light Load Member

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daniphoenix

Oh wow! That’s good news then :D

4. daniphoenix

That’s really strange you said that about the escaping, that’s kind of what my father accused me of trying to do. The only thing I really want to escape from is poverty.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trucking will be good for you; get out on the road and see the country.
    Live in the truck and look at it as having an apartment on wheels.
    Also, check with Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com and click on "Recent Graduates"
    This company has cdl school tuition reimbursement.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sometimes the road will make demands on you. Lives would depend on how you resolve that problem. Thats why we are professional drivers and not robot trucks. (Some will throw rotten tomato to this thought for being too idealistic. and Rightfully so.)

It is good to be afraid. That means everything you are inside is working well.

We are getting almost to a era where disc brakes would be common in tractors as companies finally spend a dollar to put them on. With that kind of braking, I guess you will have little fear of hitting people. Its easier to stay out of a situation than to be in it deep and try to get out.

Many people have lived with parents into a time. I have in life as well. I got married and with two words became a home owner with all that entails good and bad. Parents are happy to help now and then but Trucking demands a careful assessment of your daily spending against what you are making each week. If you were to hop from place to place throwing down party plates of food with wild abandon, you will find you require a life time to pay that off. And companies sometimes fire on 0.00 and especially negative paychecks because they are not banks.

When you do get scheduled for Orientation, the easiest way to do it is to work as a dishwasher or so for a few months until you have accumulated one to two thousand dollars and then have at trucking being very careful with it at all times.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's just wonderful; here's your free T-shirt.
    [​IMG]

daniphoenix, FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    You'll definitely escape poverty, any decent company you'll gross 50-60 k your first year.

Dad will feel better about you escaping of you toss him some cash to store your stuff. Make sure the company you choose runs near the parents house occasionally, but you can take home time anywhere. Most drivers who live in a truck just rent a nice hotel room once a month for a break.

OTR, you'll either love it or hate it. And you'll find out quickly which. But, in a year, you'll be on your feet again. Plenty of local and regional jobs available with experience.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  9. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    If you want to work local, CTI Inc, the AZ bulk company sometimes trains new drivers with state grants when they meed drivers. They sometimes advertise those openings on Indeed. A good place to start would be their Clarkdale terminal, more laid back than laveen.

You would need tanker and doubles endorsements, it involves some physical activity with hoses and climbing out on catwalks to open and close the top hatches, but very little backing with doubles. Runs start early morning hours and end mid afternoon. Home every day with weekends off unless you want extra Saturday work.

They were paying hourly to train, then it's trip pay. Not high pay, they have turnover, but no contract last I knew. You will have doubles experience which LTL companies who pay better are looking for.

For example, Estes, who also have a school in phx if you get on as clerk or dock, their local drivers peak at around 26, and they have a hiring open house next week, see indeed.

Southwest wanted like 18% interest when i checked. Pima cc was cheap but irregular classes.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Click here for CTI website > Link to CTI Website

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  11. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Correction: The CTI gig is for new CDL grads, so you'd need a CDL.

Here is a link to the current listings... https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=cti+apprentice&l=arizona

Because they provide several weeks of practical training you could go to a quick CDL school and then let them pay you to learn. There is a quick school in Phoenix takes just a few days but would not properly prepare you to go out on your own. Recommend checking with CTI if that would work for them.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.