System adventures with the ducky

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by rubberducky68, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Same thing happens to me. I guess the Atlanta area needs a lot of chemicals. I don't like spending a whole day just to unload and that's it. But I usually go back out the next day, so can't complain too much.

2. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    This is my 5th week out, I did not plan on doing it like this but it just played out that way. I did this exact same thing last year at this time, set out and stayed running for a total of 8 weeks. The difference is really where you live. I live at the end of the road up in Maine whereas you live in Atlanta a major crossroads for the South East. Not as much goes that far north as there is moving through the South East region.
    I like to stay running the I-90 corridor between Boston and Chicago, I could do that a month at a time without really needing to go home.

3. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    The generic policy of sending "system drivers" back towards there home terminal, confuses me... can anyone clarify it's purpose?

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    They want family men. That is the best way I can put it. Its really not a bad thing if you want home time. This is not a company for people who want to live in the truck. The chemical tank biz has peaks and valleys, busy and slow times. They will keep you out when its busy but send you home when its not. It costs a terminal $160 a day in layover to let a driver sit out in the system so when freight is slower they send you home.

rubberducky68 and Oaker Thank this.
  5. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Home time is important, don't get me wrong... and if it's sit (

6. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I took 3 vacation days this week so my wife could have shoulder surgery. They cleaned up her shoulder from surgery a couple of years ago. They put a screw in then that came loose and was floating around in her shoulder joint. She has been in a lot of pain for a while. Here is the screw:

IMG_1003.JPG

I expected something much smaller.

I expected to be off through Easter but told them I could work if they got in a pinch. Got a dedicated load from Hopewell Va to Houston. I swap an empty for a loaded in the rack on Friday in Hopewell. It delivers Sunday in Houston and I run right back. Really surprised a plant is open Easter Sunday.

7. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Yeah but you have to make money too. You do at Superior except when you sit at home. Its not an issue as long as they get you back out. 4-5 days between loads and its an issue for most.

Oaker Thanks this.
  8. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    I've been out 3 weeks now, but it technically doesn't count because I have been sent to my home terminal twice in that time. I don't go home if they have a run for me the next day since I live a good distance from the terminal.

I'm on my way out west now, which is rare but always welcome. Hopefully I can stay out a while longer. I want to save my pennies for a long nose Peterbuilt. Or I can get a house and a Prostar. :p

I have not been driving long, so I'm all about running hard now so I can take it easy later on.

Orange713 Thanks this.
  9. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    True...

10. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Light Load Member

May 13, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've picked up at Hopewell Va in the past. But it went to Iowa city, and it belonged to the Baltimore terminal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.