TA security guard shoots driver/parking dispute

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Doealex, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Agreed. He was buried today. I look at it like a drunk driver who hurts someone else and kills himself through his own negligence.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree that there is always 10 eyes examining your actions. I once had 5 drivers leaning FORWARD at the bench next to me very interested in my right rear trailer in the dark of night while i struggled with the problem of seeing only one light post on that pete to my right blind side straight. (Dock drops 4 feet in about 30)

I looked at them drivers and thought you know what? They wont lift a finger if you destroyed that pete. Give them a show.

So I got out walked around back there and lo and behold that pete's left marker stick was a foot and half inside my right trailer side. waiting to be squashed. along with the steer tire, hood, fuel filters, box and tanks and so on and on.

I said to the five. I am looking at what I estimate to be almost 300 years of trucking experience. And not one of you did anything to make it worth anything tonight. If anything needs doing I have to do it myself. hmph! the nerve.

they did not like that at all. I was loaded in 10 minutes and gone. But NOT before 4 smokes inspecting that entire rig for any defect at all. Particularly bolts.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’m sure they also carry other weapons other than an actual gun. I personally am okay with security guards carrying guns, but they should also carry non-lethal weapons for minor problems. On top of that, they should wear a body camera.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We experimented with a full taser once as a non lethal option. Its been proven to nuke anyone big enough to fall hard over 30 seconds of power unlike the 5 second control burst by Lawman Taser of the same company we got ours from. The idea is to nuke the bad guy leave it going while he flops around and get out of dodge. If the prongs didnt do it then it had 4 internal probes you jammed into the bad guy and lit him up. If you tested just the 4 in open air the electricity coming out reaches about 4 inches.

And there lies the problem. After about 9 or so tests at full power, no more taser, just a paperweight. And that was the end of the road for those cute little things.

They do work, however its a limited situation.

Now body cams are good if you can settle on one that does not look like one. Thats one of the keys.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Though I'm sure the TA will get sued, they contract with the security company to provide their services, who, in turn, hires the people who work for them.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  7. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Simply posting a sign does not stop a person from carrying. They mean nothing to me. (Unless its a gov building)

I currently do armed security work. Having to go out and do this kinda work with just a pink whistle would be a no go. Ironically, many insurance companies would rather insure armed security than those with tasers.

Armed security is a must in certain locations. Proper training and guard selection is of the highest priority.
    A good guard can, and will, deescalate situations. Next step is to call LE and keep the person "contained". The very last resort is whipping out the bang stick. 87% of people issues can be resolved if the guard remains calm and non confrontational.

before you say.. "well gee, an unarmed guy can do all that". Sure, if he is 6'4" and can bench press a caddy. The mental component of the other person knowing you are armed (and trained) sets the tone of the guard being in a position of authority without them having to prove they have the bigger man bits. This gives the guard the chance of playing " good cop" with the person from the start and avoid going directly to use of force.

PE_T, ZVar and spyder7723 Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Rubber bullet and pepper spray guns can also be used. Some rubber bullet types are more effective than others.

As for the body cams, it’s actually better for them to be visible. Both parties behave better when they know a camera is recording.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The problem with pepper spray is if you deployed the #### thing you just created a sort of a biohazard zone and all of it will have to be isolated and cleaned up carefully. There are felony laws for deploying non lethal when the situation does not call for it such as using it to punish a child for example.

The problem with rubber bullets is yes they do work, but no there are a percentage of people who convert that OW into fuel to enrage and tear apart the person firing it. If you have to draw it needs to be all or nothing. You can still be killed if the attacker realized you have nothing that will kill or hurt very badly.

If I wanted a non lethal its going to be one of two types. A radiation emitter at a very high frequency microwaving just below your skin about 1/16th of a inch where your burn pain sensors are located. Cook that hot enough you want out. OR a visual tool that deploys a certain type of lighting into the eyes causing the brain to not know where it is in the world creating a vomit situation that is almost endless. OR even induce a seizure which will accomplish the same goal of ending a attack.

However. At the end of the day the original problem likely is not solved. Such as "You did not pay for this spot. Move your truck."

"No"

and so on escalating as we go.

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I agree that security guards should be allowed to use actual guns, but it wouldn’t hurt to also carry non-lethal guns. I find it disappointing that some security guards apparently don’t carry non-lethal weapons or at least not enough of them. If all you got is a baton and a gun, you’ll probably end up using your gun in situations where pepper spray or rubber bullet guns could have sufficed.

11. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Agreed. The problem then lies in the training needed to be proficient in them as well as knowing what to go for and when.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.