Taking test for CDL permit do I need my physical before, or after

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BIGLEFTYINTX, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Did you pay the $37 to unlock it all ? Otherwise you only have access to a small portion

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    No I didn't pay anything all I did was their free practice test

4. BIGLEFTYINTX

Nov 20, 2017
    Crap, a potential school in san antonio I was looking into to get my training informed me DPS testing dates are now into Dec. I can't wait that long,Now the search begins again for company training

5. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    Did you get your CLP yet? They make you wait 14 days before you even schedule your test after getting your CLP. That would mean you wouldn't even be able to SCHEDULE the test until we are almost into December.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Might as well.Don't be in a hurry. I remember when I was new. Took oh about 10 years to get rid of that problem.

7. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    Apparently roadmaster(Werner) sponsored training only lasts 3 weeks if you already have your CLP.

8. BIGLEFTYINTX

Nov 20, 2017
    im on phone with them now, they have 3 certified dps testers on site . sad they charge 6900 vs the 3900 from southern careers.

9. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    You have to look at what your time is worth too. Yeah it costs more, but if you are on the road in 3 weeks VS 5-6 weeks then it could be worth the extra money. I also read somewhere that if you go to work for Werner after graduating, they knock several thousand off the price of schooling since they now own roadmaster.

Either way if you go with a company that provides tuition reimbursement they will eventually pay it off if you stay with them. I was reading somewhere that the cost of the school should be the least important part of deciding where to go to school at.

It's a tough decision man, I just looked into all kinds of options and decided that since my company has trucks I can practice on, that I'm not even going to attend school and will just drive part time for my company I'm at right now, then transfer to a full time driving job once I get a little experience.

10. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    A friend of mine went through roadmaster and went on to work for Werner, and he is doing really well for his first year contrary to some of the negative things I've read about Werner. He said he has no regrets about going with them and would do it again.
    Probably not a bad choice if you need to get your CDL quickly and don't want to wait around.

11. Kodiakkodak

Kodiakkodak Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2018
    For clp testing I used dmv genie for it (Montana) but it has all starte and was really easy .I aced the permit test via it without even opening the DMV manual. Check for it in the app store. Any questions you get wrong it explains really well. Do the general knowledge, air brake, and combination and maybe tanker if you want ( kinda wish I did tanker but I'll do that in a year. )

genchau Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.