Tankers the Schneider way

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tardis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. KajunTankerYanker

KajunTankerYanker Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2011
    GrandLake,Louisiana
    one thing i have noticed about Schneider, their tankers are beat to hell and always dirty, new tankers being build have fold up hand rails, mine has ground level venting, i have a friend working out of the Houston term soon as his schooling debt is paid hes dragging up and becoming a miller man, to quote him "his take home pay,wont take him home"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    I know everyone's schedules are different. Today on the road I was given the tank that has surge as bad as they could make it. You learn to start smoothly, accelerate gently and apply brakes consistently, don't pulse the brakes! If you don't start smoothly you wake up that beast in the tank and he will be reminding you of it for the next couple of miles down the road.

Oh, and Wisconsin has been installing a lot of round a bouts. I dragged my tank around a half dozen of them today. They really weren't designed for trucks. On the plus side, nobody could try and pass me once I was in one.

Listening to the instructor, trying to shift gentle, watching the traffic, don't lug the engine or over rev and what was the bridge clearance on that sign you just passed? I mean the instructor wouldn't take you down a road you couldn't go on...would he?

Lets just say I was flustered, frazzled, and humbled today. I'm still in the program but I hope to hold on to that humility and try to gain some situational awareness.:biggrin_2558:

4. albhb3

albhb3 Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2009
    ^well at least you didnt run over a bus full of kids.... or did you:biggrin_2555:

5. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    That bus of kids is ok for now. Maybe that's why they wait until school has started before we hit the road.

Yesterday had nothing specific to do with tankers. Trip planning, we got our punkin pads, skid and blow out training on the simulator. There is way more to trip planning than just knowing you are going south and hit the first even numbered Interstate.

Big take home test on trip planning Monday. The recap on the log sheet is still a dog's dinner. Once I get that straightened up I can fill out my Mac 17 and answer the questions in the back.:biggrin_255:

6. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    Yup, we had training on the weekend. Got more miles per day than I did previous. Don't let anyone tell you there are no mountains in Wisconsin. Ok, there are no mountains in Wisconsin, but there are some pretty steep grades as you transition from the Lake Michigan shore to the bluffs overlooking.

Tanker specific training happened in the classroom. Hooking up your hose to the wrong tank could be an epic mistake. Contaminated product, product disposal, tank clean-up, unexpected chemical reactions (let your mind wander on this one), even the possible shut down of an entire municipal water system. Lord please keep me off the TV news.

Yeah, those are worst case scenarios. But a chemical spill only takes a single drop on the ground. Buckets, drip pads, Schneider tape, moon suit and respirator, oh where is the emergency shower and eye wash? Walk the hose to remove the last of the product from it, Cap the hose, go to the tank wash, get your tank washed but get your buckets and hoses washed first because you probably will be picking up a previously washed tank and those hoses and fittings are part of the tractor, not the tank.

Is everything clean, dry and odor free?

Shave every day.:yes2557: I'm sure the wife likes that idea.

TBearfield and AfterShock Thank this.
  7. Woolylocks

Woolylocks Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Naperville, Illinois
    I am sooooo glad to hear from you! I told the people at my school that a Schn recruiter approved me for the tanker division and they just laughed at me. A regional recruiting manager from Schn was there at my school and told them you can't get into that division right out of school. I told my instructor he was wrong but in that class I am the only female, so what do I know. I'm suppose to start on the 26th but I'm calling today and see if I can't push it back two weeks.

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That would be a pain in the butt. I have complained about not having a hose rack on my company truck. Our hoses stay with the tank. Its a pain when they are in short supply or you need more than a standard set and have to go on a search for what you need. I think it would take more time to get them washed every time though. Sure slows down a drop and hook.

9. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    Having your hoses washed and ready to go means that a drop and hook is just that. When you drop your tank to be washed the buckets and hoses get done first, hour tops. If you are picking up an already washed tank you can drop off your hoses and they will get first attention while you are doing a pre-trip and hooking up.

Passed my road exam yesterday. Class tests are done. Get my boots and meet with my dispatcher today. Today is my hire date. Wednesday home, Thursday off to Gary, IN for some hands on tanker training.

I'll be home for Christmas and waiting for a call from my training engineer. Merry Christmas everyone, hope you make it home safe to your families in time to open those presents.:biggrin_25525:

The Challenger and AfterShock Thank this.
  10. jvar4001

jvar4001 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    thank you driver im exploring all posible alternatives my lack of experience wont allow me to get a job on this recesion . thank you :biggrin_2558:

11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Thats why we have hose racks on the truck with 3, 2inch hoses and 3, 3"hoses. And all our pumps are mounted ON the trailers, use a pto shaft to run them. Most of the time we keep the same trailer until we get back to the home terminal or other co. term and drop it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.