Terminated for a Safety issue from Ryder. Didn't secure trailer.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Truckfit44, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    I'm a little confused. When you pulled out and realized the trailer was not attached, did the trailer drop onto the frame of the tractor behind the fifth wheel? Or did the king pin plate stay on top of the fifth wheel? A tug test will reveal if the trailer is hooked up properly or not.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    He probably dropped the trailer on the frame and had to low gear the landing gear and someone reported him. Catching one on the frame is worlds better than dropping one on the ground and bending the landing pads

Bean Jr., MACK E-6, Lonesome and 7 others Thank this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No, a tug test will not tell a driver if the kingpin is properly hooked.

upload_2023-11-20_14-5-20.png

This was on my truck. It passed the tug test. Provided I only made left turns, I could have driven miles before the trailer dropped.

The only way to verify is to use a flashlight and visually check the jaws.

Long FLD, RockinChair, flood and 8 others Thank this.
  5. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    upload_2023-11-20_19-55-24.jpeg

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    As gentleroger said, flashlight and look, then you know.

I do this every time I hook a trailer. Back up, pin on, tug test, air up tractor suspension, get out and stick my head under with a flashlight and check the connection. Then carryon from there.

Lesson learned, many companies will hire you, live and learn.

Speedy356, tscottme and gentleroger Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hire right says
    Eligible for rehire.
    Yes or no.

Unless things changed.

I tug. Then I back. Then I tug again. A few times. Never failed me yet. But I'll drag the tires. Not a gentle tug.

Course. If the tires don't lock up. I'll adjust the brakes.

I'm a sucker for all brakes working at 70 mph. I have nooo desire to be on the news.

tscottme and Albertaflatbed Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Both the visual test AND A HEAVY tug test are required. There are specific conditions I can describe and reproduce that will cause the jaws to look exactly the same as properly latched but they will open as you do a tug test. I've dropped trailers enough to claim expert status on the different ways to drop one, picking them up after dropping them, and how to prevent, and also high-hooking a trailer.

If you ever hook to a trailers but the 5th wheel just won't stay locked (usually happens with a trailer is almost too high to hook) you can reset the 5th wheel by pulling AND HOLDING the 5th wheel release handle out for 5-10 seconds.

Lonesome and Albertaflatbed Thank this.
  9. tscottme

Look AND a HEAVY tug test are necessary. A good looking set of closed jaws are not enough. Drag the trailer tires an inch if you have to. Dropping a trailer on a public road is a big, and possibly deadly, deal. I've dropped 6 trailer and thankfully it was always on customer property and I self-recovered the trailer. 5th Wheel jaws looking closed is not the same as 5th wheel jaws pulling weight. If I can adjust the height of the trailer you are backing under I can make your 5th wheel jaws look closed but not be closed and road ready no matter how hard or how often you slam into the trailer. Look AND tug.

Albertaflatbed Thanks this.
  10. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    6X???:oops:

Jamie01 and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  11. tscottme

Yes, over 18 years at one employer during my 28 years of trucking. I am ashamed of it, but I did it.

Albertaflatbed and Sons Hero Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.