tire balancing

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 377pete, Dec 6, 2009.

1. orphan andy

orphan andy Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Ok, do duals get spun balanced together or separately?

i also need to know where are good shops to get this procedure done?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W903B

W903B Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2016
    My steers had balancing issue and we used 3 golf balls , they worked fine , I thouhth they will leave markings inside but NO , no damage was done , ball will stick at low point , just like centermatics , for 2 months I used and replaced tires, But on new tires I will not use Golf balls

4. W903B

W903B Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2016
    And yes Golf balls had significant wear on them. In just 2 months..

5. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    If anything inside the tires destroys that lining what about the balancing beads?

W903B Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ive never been willing to use golf balls but ive used the balance beads (brand name is escaping me at the moment) with zero issues.

W903B and bigguns Thank this.
  7. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Honestly IMO recaps are good if the guy doing it is good AND the donor tire was a steer that wasn’t run flat or took any sidewall damage. I’ve had some recaps go thru hell and frost and never lost the tread and I’ve had fresh recaps de-tread 300 miles down.

W903B Thanks this.
  8. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Someone mentioned earlier that brand name (good) tires don’t need balancing. I’ve seen plenty of them with big weights added to the rims.
    I prefer a weight that can move to where it is needed. Balance Masters and Centramatics are fixed in one sphere so to speak. I.e. mounted to the drum. Weights are fastened to the rim either on the outside or inside.
    Centramatic beads can move inside the tire to wherever they are need.
    With all that said I have used lead coated or steel BBS without ever being told that I am damaging a tire. Same principle as Centrmatic beads.
    That’s my story and I sticking to it.

W903B Thanks this.
  9. W903B

W903B Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2016
    I totally agree No need for weights if it is mounted correctly , low spot and hight spot at points, I was at TA in Ohio I80 I90 and needed steer tire the guy who was installing tire he did not removed old weights and start balancing and kept adding new weights , usually after , no new tire need more then 7-8 so he added 30 , I kept saying but he didn't want to hear , it was late evening , they even kept my 1 good steer tire for 10 dollars , 1 was bad and 1 was good I ended up replacing both. That was my worse experience. It's all depend who is installing the tires.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.