Tire/Wheel Thread

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BJnobear, Nov 9, 2010.

1. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    U assume correct

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    Wow...That is a lotta miles!

4. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    After getting a 'smokin' deal' on some lower tier steer tires back in '03... and having two sets turn out to be oblong, I pulled into a Michelin dealer in Indy and put on a pair of XZA2's.... and I've never looked back.

Now I run 90% Michelin tires all the way around my truck.

I have XZA3's on the steers and Michelin retreads on MY Michelin casings on the drives.

I recently purchased a trailer so I'm waiting to run out the tires that are on the trailer but some already are Michelins (virgin and recaps) and I have 14 of my used Michelin casings on hand to get retreaded when I need them.

My last 8 drive tires consisted of 4 virgin Michelin XDHT's and 4 XDHT retreads on Goodyear casings (the casings came with the truck). I got 400K on the virgin Michelins and over 440K on the retreads.

I paid $184.00 each to have the drives retreaded and the trailer tires run $113.00 to $130.00 each on my casings depending on tread design.... not counting the announced price increase which will go into effect in December.

I have run Michelin casings thru two retreadings and have a couple that will see a third retread. I have never had a retreaded tire (on MY casing) that went bad. Keeping the air pressure up is the key to keeping any tire alive.

My XZA3's now have 120,000 miles on them and are at 50% tread...

You get what you pay for...

larry2903 Thanks this.
  5. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Have you found a decent place to keep buying Michelin Tires? Was digging around for some trailer tires this spring & the more places I called the more of a difference in the out the door price. Wanting to say the spread was just under $100 for the same brand(BF Goodrich ST230) tire. Don't mind paying for quality(particularly in tires) but oddly not wanting to donate an extra $100 each.

6. crackhead

crackhead Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2010
    missouri

nice system you have going on. What is the price difference between the retreads and buying that same tire new? What are new virgin michelin casings worth trade in?

7. Krooser

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I buy mine at Bauer-bilt...they are a Michelin retailer and retreader based in WI but they have stores in MN, IL and IA I do believe.

They will pick-up and deliver right to my house/shop or my local repair shop. I get fleet price, too.

8. robbiehorn

robbiehorn Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Axtell,Texas
    Anybody tried any of the BF Goodrich steer tires. Saw some today at Love's for $359 ea.

9. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Yep, we have good luck out of the ST244.

10. Krooser

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Trade value depends on tire size and location.

When I ran tall 24.5's on my FLD and Pete 378 the casings (Michelin or Bridgestone) would bring $130.00 each here in WI.... they are scarce. When I bought a pair of steer tires in Texas I got $60.00 each in trade.

My lo-pro 24.5's are worth about $70-90.00 each for #1 grade (again Michelin or Bridgestones)... lesser tires bring smaller trade-in values. They won't even take many Chinese or Eastern-Bloc made tires.

Not sure how current these values are because I have kept all my casings for the past 5 years.

Price difference is huge... a new XHDN drive tire is over $500.00.... the retread is under $200.00 with your casing. But the casing has to be a wide tire... the XDHN tread is wide... off brands save $$$ by producing a narrower tire so many can't use that tread design on a retread but trailer tires would be OK.

11. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Thanks, talked to those guys too up at their Bolingbrook location. I doubt with just one truck & trailer I would qualify for a fleet discount, but their price was right in there.

Loves was one of the more expensive places I priced BF Goodrich at. Not the highest but thinking the ST230's for the trailer $85 more each than the lowest price I got out of a shop in St. Louis, MO. Definitely call around.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.