To everyone that has white coat syndrome when getting BP taken.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by longhairdontcare, Sep 18, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No one likes to go to the doctor. I have never had a DOT doctor take a previous alledged note from another doctor stating whatever fantasy BP number is normal. Anyone can write on paper so it's not something acceptable. The DOT doctor must go by what he discovers during the DOT exam.

If you are arriving and full of white coat this BP that and so on, you also know probably what to do BEFORE going that day to get it down. Most people show up at the DOT not saying a word about any alleged problem and get through a simple BP without trouble.

Where I am BP is used as a enforcement tool to detect people in withdrawal. I have been proven to have medicines on board anyway and all other vitals in range except the BP which is repeatedly hypertension two to low three. Sometimes the values require immediate ER visits. But I tell them higher numbers than that before I feel bad enough to go. (And I will if it really gets bad or combined with a second problem such as loss of power or air in the body.) When the BP does not matter, sometimes it comes out pretty low in front of the doctor during the test. Funny how that works.

I am not discounting white coat stress or any other real or imagined problems. The DOT man has to go by what the Medical DOT examiners guide has set forth a certain set of standards that has to be met or exceeded to consider a driver relatively healthy for the stress of Trucking. When you read the manual you will understand that 140/90 is a hard value that WILL decide if you are go or no go. IF you can run lower than that that's excellent. Otherwise you will not be in a position to get a Med Card.

I prefer to consider that people who often fail a BP test for that value has to be referred to a family doctor at home to decide if there has been hypertension 1, 2 or 3 and add medicines to get it under control. If you do not and continue to carry excessive pressures, sooner or later your body is going to simply break and then you might be committed involuntarily to a nursing home to get wiped clean and washed twice a day for the rest of whatever life you have. Because you did not take care of that persistent high blood pressure.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    They are addressing one why. While I do not have to worry about it, thete a quite a few people who have blood pressure spikes when seeing a doctor. White coat syndrome is a dumb name, true enough, but it is legit. Or, at least, can be in some people. Although I am sure some people abuse it when they really do have issues that need addressed like ypu recommended.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I am actually still waiting on a linked to FMCSA Regulation or Regulatory Guidance that allows for this. I will even be happy with seeing this in the FMCSA Medical examiners guides. Not trying to be a dick, just wanting to see PROOF this happens and is sanctioned by the FMCSA. REASON? OK lets assume (yes using that ole you have a fatality accident example) your medical records get looked over. What happens to you if you have done this and there is no allowance for it made by the FMCSA? Can we say major $$$$$ changing hands? This is not me trying to win an argument. This is me attempting to "get" edumecated on where the rules are that allows for this!

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Same here. Normal healthy blood pressure. But when I went in to do my physical it shot through the roof.

6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yes. Even things like diabetes. They’ll accept a letter from a doctor. With me, they accept a print out of my last A1C.

With some of the young idiots claiming to be doctors. It’s easy to have white coat syndrome. I’ve had them help by having me lay back and relax. Then an attractive nurse.... well... I’ll just leave it at that for fun’s sake. :)

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My last several years as a driver I was a NON Insulin dependent diabetic. My actual physician did my DOT physicals for me. Today he is still doing DOT physicals. Letters from a family doc certifying diabetes control are vital with helping a medical examiner determine your fitness to drive. However they are still going to dip your urine to test the protein, because this is required per the form. Medical examiners do take things like sleep studies. However I still have not found anywhere yet (still looking) where the FMCSA allows the basic testing called for on the form to be bypassed like that. These measurements are to be recorded on the spot. Letters and other things are used with wavers etc. That is true. However I am standing on my point. (and hoping somebody will link to where this is OK per the FMCSA) If I am wrong then I am wrong.

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    whew when you mentioned "white coat' i was thinking you were referring to the looney bin.

9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Nobody said basic testing on the form is bypassed.
    The basic testing on the form are only indications of what might be. Basic testing by no means is conclusive diagnosis. They have admitted that to me.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    1. The OP appears to clearly said this.
    2. DOT testing is NOT designed to be diagnostic. They test the things listed on the form and establish if you at that time are medically qualified to operate a CMV. If not you then have to go through "the process". If you are then you get the medical and keep on trucking.

Remember that in some cases Medical Examiner's are Nurse's and PAs. The FMCSA never wanted MEs doing this kind of stuff. Just check it and issue the card.

11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    What you don’t get is:
    The process includes things like letters from doctors and. A1C tests.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.