TransAm: It isn't THAT bad

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by KillerBug, Jul 28, 2012.

1. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Does that mean it isn't that good, either?

Bumpy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bull24471

bull24471 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Port Republic ByGod VA
    I drove a 2005 W900 with a 60 500 isx and a 13 and never want to get back in it. I ran into several TA drivers and most were happy. 3 or so had a bad taste in there mouth for TA.

4. johnnyblaze1009

johnnyblaze1009 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2012
    They just like any company got the good & bad but is it true one of my friend that still work there & train say Trans Am is training students (I call tag team driving with that E-Log) for only 2 weeks :biggrin_2556:. What happen 3 (probably need more than that). And I see why yall done got stricter over the TA CSA is high as ####. Anymore higher FMCSA is going to be on that tail

5. billy in nashville

billy in nashville Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Nashville,TN.
    I presently drive for Trans Am. I am a company driver close to completing 6 months solo. Trans Am has been good to me so far. Night and weekend dispatch are my biggest complaints. Road Assist is somewhat helpful,but if you have a problem its nice to work for a company that has National accounts at the repair shops. The prepass and EZ pass are great. Just do your job and Trans Am will never bother you. They do have a lousy lease program and I advise no one to lease. Go company if you go with Trans Am and good luck.

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The "National Accounts" is just TA and Petro (and KW honors the warranty of course). It can actually be a bit of a bother, I'm sure it is worse some places...but I also know a lot of companies will let you stop most anywhere for trailer repairs as long as you fax in the receipt. Plus, many companies will pay for lightbulbs that you install yourself...TransAm makes you go thru the bother of checking in with the shop and waiting 3 hours for them to replace a bulb or reflector or some other little thing you can do yourself in 30 seconds. Plus, good companies pay for downtime when it is their equipment...you can be down for 23:45 with a trailer issue and you won't get a dime from TransAm...at 24:00 you get a free lease payment for the day, but you still didn't make any money. That's probably why just about every trailer in the fleet has leaking air lines...unless it is so bad that the wheels might lock, no one is going to blow a day on fixing it.

Prepass and toll tags are not uncommon...not every company has them, but we are not talking about something radical there. Yeah, it saves a bit of time and bother, but it is hardly a reason to sign on with a company.

7. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    I never had a problem with TA, when it came to doing minor repairs myself. I always asked road assist before hand and got their ok. All bills were paid back to me. Most of the repair I did were lights and mud flaps. Has itchanged that much in a year since I left them?

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It is always a problem doing repairs myself...they paid me back for a mudflap but it took about an hour of messages and they still made me back into a service bay to have someone else install it, spent even longer getting approval for a turn signal light on a trailer, and never got paid for that at all...but it was only $5 anyway. All I can figure is that they want to make it such a pain to work with them that people just buy those little parts themselves and call it a loss. I can say this...next time I have a burned light, I'll just buy the light, install it, and put the dead light back in when I drop the trailer.

9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i never have any problems getting reimbursed for things i buy? usually road assist is grateful i will handle it and they dont have to babysit another newbie

Panhandle flash Thanks this.
  10. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Just make sure you get a PO# from road assist themselves. Repairs are seperate accounts from all the other bs.

11. strawberryrhubarbpie

strawberryrhubarbpie Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Ft Myers, FL
    hey Killerbug I noticed you mentioned Schneider, my husband and I live in Fort Myers and we drove for them for 8 months, we parked the truck in Orlando, they always had freight for us to take down and take out...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.