Truck driver fired after passing 8 drug tests in a row. Ex kept calling at the company with lies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Aug 12, 2022.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    That's crazy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    WADR, stick to truck driving, don't become a lawyer. You are definitely wrong here, I'm sorry to tell you. You need to google what an "at will state" is.

A company can fire you for any reason or none at all, as long as it's not one of the listed reasons the federal gov't has stated that you can't be fired (race, religion, etc.) You do not have a right to a job. You can be fired because they don't like your hair color.

This assumes he lives in an at-will state, which most states are. Only Montana is not. The video says they are from Ohio, so he was terminated according to the law. The reason sucked, but it wasn't illegal.

He MIGHT have a case against his ex for harassing his employer and "causing" him to be fired, but it would be weak at best. But he certainly has NOTHING against his old employer. They did nothing wrong.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You might want to learn to use google.
    At will isn't a 100% free pass for companies.
    The obvious example of you can't be fired because the owner doesn't like it when a girl takes maternity leave. There are tons more, and getting fired for the company not wanting to illegally make the driver do a drug test IS a slam dunk case against the company.

I know you will try and argue otherwise with no proof,
    Here is an article that backs by claim. Read the first snetence of the article.
    "An at-will employee who disputed his positive drug test for cocaine can sue his employer for wrongful discharge because the employer violated state regulations on drug testing,"
    Fisher Phillips Court Upholds Wrongful Discharge Claim

Note that because the company violated the law they can be sued.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    AND he has an excellent case against his pixxant ex wife. she probably doesn't have any money, but he can make her financial life miserable for years.

ZVar Thanks this.
  6. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    they probably have their crazy "#####es" too.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  7. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Cordell & Cordell specialize in divorce to help the man. san antonio or houston.

8. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I noticed a trend. When these women jump out from under their rock years after the fact making wild accusations you ever notice it’s never some homeless guy on the bus that grabbed their ###?

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  9. Trucks66

Trucks66 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    You make a good point.

10. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    there are many federal labor laws that Companies must abide by or they can be subject to a lawsuit. This is not a free pass and does not give free reign, for companies and at will states to do whatever they want. Why do you think lawyers advertise “wrongful termination“ lawsuits in every state in America as much as almost any type of legal work they advertise? Examples…Trucking companies for example, falsely advertise what they’re going to provide for their employees, employee begins complaining because he’s not getting paid for what company advertised. Company rather than step up and pay him what they promised to fire him and throws them out and gets rid of him. That employee can sue. Company has an employee hired as a part-time employee but tricks him into or demands he work full-time. This way he doesn’t have to offer him benefits. But still get the benefit themselves of a full-time employee. Employee complaint, company fired him, employee can get a lawyer and sue. FOr a large amount of money by the way.
    Employee goes to HR and says is that her rear end was pinched or grabbed and sexual comments are being made in front of him
    Or her. Instead of dealing with the situation the company fires complaining employee. Employee can get a lawyer and sue.

Atwill, does not mean you get to do whatever you want with impunity. Not by a long shot. If you’re a smart employer you still dot your I’s and cross your t’s and get a lot of Documentation together and a justification before terminating an employee in any state. The lawyers will find a way to sue you if you don’t.

ZVar Thanks this.
  11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I always kinda suspected Swift was doing that when I was there. It seemed like the drivers who kept getting tested frequently were older men and females. I had five drug tests in four years. I haven't even seen pot since I was in college 40 years ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.