Unfair

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Pattert5, Sep 6, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Your age plays a part
    Your residence plays a part
    Your tickets play a part
    You credit score plays a part.

4 factors.

My son pays $2400 per year and he has 1 speeding ticket. It wasn't much over either.

Did you try Geico? That's who my son and I use because everyone else wants almost twice as much.

Progressive is cheaper. But if you live with anyone. They want ALL licensed drivers in the same household listed. So, they're out of the question.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    BTW.

A sign doesn't always mean something. Not always.

I know a 8 ton road in GA with very small bridges. Trucks run it all day long.
    I know a 5 ton road in UT. No idea why. There's no bridges. And there's a few dairies. Trucks run it all day long.

4. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    there’s more to the story. my personal driving record is a mile long and i have 2 no truck road tickets. i have 0 issues with car insurance.

5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Maybe theres NOT more to the story, maybe he HAD to go down that low limit road [i have drive on one to a quarry thats posted for no reason at all] and maybe the insurance companies really are Dbags. Long live the bailouts.

6. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Some roads are not designed for the weight. That’s usually the reason on many roads.

Costs a lot of money to make a road truck worthy. Some county’s ain’t gonna do it

7. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Insurance companies are all bloodsuckers. Looks like you are considered to be high risk. Not much you can do about it . Pay the rate or risk getting caught without insurance.

snowwy Thanks this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    And some towns are full of transplanted people that run to selectman any time they hear a log truck going to the mill. Few weeks ago i went to a quarry NW of scranton that the only road to it had a 10t limit sign a ways in. I backed the truck pretty far to park it then walked a good bit to a diner to ask about how to get to the quarry. Oh thats the only way, yeah trucks are in and out of there every day.

Then why is it posted 10t limit?

Oh they did that years ago when the gas company was doing whatever and people up there didnt like all the trucks waking them up at 430 in the morning.

Completely senseless 10t limit that cost me a bunch of time and stress and only a $12 sign for them to hang. im sure i could find some cop glad to cite me for it though.

There was a great looking low limit bridge in NY or PA foothills i stopped at and blocked the road a while. Ended up calling fire dept. Oh that bridge is fine, trucks go over it every day. It was the old one that had a weight limit, you can use the new one. They just left the sign.

202 at the mass connecticut border into westfield has a 5t limit bridge and no postings at any of the possible alternative routes.. Nothing until you are at the bridge. I called police dept. They top of the head routed me into this completely residential tight neighborhood in the middle of the night to go around it. A guy i know was routed by his permit over that bridge in an excavator OSOW move. He called, they said run it, he backs up, gets running start then blasts across and makes it.

Sometimes i think scheming public works management at municipalities put low limits on bridges theyve neglected, hoping a truck will break it and then they can go after the policy limit to help fund repairs. Low limit lottery for the town.

kylefitzy, 25(2)+2 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    A few years ago penndot didn't get the money they wanted from the state so they got pissed off and dropped wight limits on EVERYTHING just to prove a point since the now "didn't have the money for required inspections" it was a pain in the ###. Going across the 30 bypass in Chester county you would have to get off every exit just to go straight back up the on ramp so you didn't cross the overpasses. City and state agencies do pull that kind of crap for more money.

FoolsErrand and olddog_newtricks Thank this.
  10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    88 Alpha and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im sowwy you said that.

SOME bridges carry a fire department weight rating. One bridge I used to run was eliminated in Boring maryland and the engineers brought the pavement down to the railroad track and built a crossing. Cheaper than replacing that bridge that milk trucks cross daily loaded.

We have had in recent months a time where several drivers badly tried to cross a bridge loaded. It simply failed. They get to buy new bridges.

"Trucks run it all the time" is not a valid excuse. ONE of those trucks will break it someday. Maybe today maybe someday. But break it they will.

The reason I say that is the old US 340 bridge at Harpers Ferry Wva on the Charlestown highway stood all my life since world war two. it was severely weight restricted about 1995. I crossed it for the very last time about that year. The plates and structure moved in ways I did not like at all. Soon after they demo'ed that big one and build a bigger one.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.