UPS P&D to Linehaul

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by coastietruckin', Apr 3, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No. UPSF won’t give a rat’s patoot about that.

It’s only the OTR outfits that would look at a peddle hand with 30 years experience and want to insult him by saying “meet your trainer”.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    It won’t be a roadblock. It’ll be a big challenge going from no experience to p&d. Linehaul is more forgiving for new drivers. However, p&d is an “easier” lifestyle transition. Typically your working nights doing 5-600 miles in linehaul.

driverdriver and coastietruckin' Thank this.
  4. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    The manager said I will have plenty of time with a trainer until they set me off on my own. This will definitely be a big transition, but I feel confident. They run alot of pup trailers. I rec'd my A licence in April 2016, but still mentally run through my pre-trips, and backing manuevers came natural to me, granted those maneuvers were in a perfect lot and not done with traffic whizzing by or in some jacked up approach. UPS runs alot of autos, so that's the one thing I'm wondering about, how different an auto rig is vs a 13 spd.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Good luck and I hope this job works out for you. It sounds like a tremendous opportunity for you because normally UPSF don't have any type of training program for students. Hopefully they'll start you off slowly and train you the right way instead of just throwing you the keys after a couple weeks of training and then tell you to "go get em tiger" because that could be disaster in the making.

P&D can be difficult at times for even the most experienced drivers because of all the various different locations that you'll have to deliver to. Seeing that you're in South Jersey, most likely you'll have to deliver to Philly at some point. Hopefully they'll ease you into the job by starting you off as a Yard Jockey first, so you can perfect you skills on backing. And then start you off on a Straight Truck Residential, so you can learn what P&D is all about and learn how to use the Liftgates, pallet jacks, and how to make residential deliveries as well. Then they MAY start you off as a Combo driver, working the docks and then occasionally doing a short distance P&D run here and there until you get the hang of things. Then when you get the hang of things, you may eventually get a bid run or wind up on Extraboard. Give it a couple years or two, build up your seniority, and then when a Linehaul position opens up, jump on it like fish to water, and watch your bank account start to grow.

Just make sure you know in advance that you can survive off the low starting payrate, because many people can't. Your not gonna make any real decent money until around year 3, when your up around $24 an hour. And since you're gonna be hired under the current contract and not the new one that's gonna be underway, you may be stuck with the current pay progression and not the new one. And also, make sure you have some steel tip shoes, otherwise they'll just send you home. Tuck in your shirt, cut your hair, hide all visible tats, clean shaven, and most importantly...pucker up your behind...because you'll be working for UPS. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!

Just kidding...lol. All jokes aside, UPSF is pretty laid back and it'll be great Career move. Not a lot of people can say that they started they're trucking Career with UPS. Good luck and you "MAY" also be able to keep your beard too at UPSF, that's if you have one....

Yes... Yes... NOOOOOO...
    565dd01f21000065005abefc.jpeg 526freddie-mercury.png Amish-beard-10.jpg

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Sho Nuff pretty much laid it all out there. Personally, I don't have much use for unions(although I'm really amazed the remaining Saia drivers haven't called the Teamsters by now--if there were ever a use for a union in this day and age, that'd be it), but it's a very good job with a stable, high-paying outfit, with the opportunity to move laterally to different divisions. Honestly, I think you lucked out getting this gig. Pay attention, keep learning every day, and keep us updated! :D

8. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Wow, thank you for that post. I appreciate the insight! I do feel very grateful for this opportunity. I know safety is a top priority with UPSF's operation, and that is my priority also. The manager said he usually doesn't bring on green drivers, but feels good about me and assured me that I'll have more time with the trainer to get my feet wet. Normally a new hire will have a couple weeks heading out with the trainer before they're sent off on their own. He said I'll be with the trainer until the trainer says I'm good to go. A big plus I have going for me is that the delivery area is exclusively South Jersey. No Philly at all, and no north jersey. Those areas are handled by different terminals.

My biggest obstacle will be myself in this opportunity. I have to remain relaxed and clear-headed and do what I know I can do. Driving a big rig, at least in school, came natural to me. I was able to graduate start to finish doing 3 day a week night school in 4 months. I definitely have the determination and mindset to take on this job and master it and do the best I can do for the company. Plus, I know if I mess up on the road, that's a hit on my license and I'm not about to jack my license up. Safety will always part of my decision making when I'm out there. I know the true test will be in those jammed up situations where I have to maneuver the truck with minimal space, or when I've been running all day and still need to make 2 more drops before I get back to the yard. But positive attitude, and not getting flustered in tense situations will be a big key to my success here. This really is too good of an opportunity to pass up. And I have thought of how the starting pay can put a cramp on my budget. I'm hoping OT will make up for it! Is a new contract already being negotiated? Is there word on what the new pay sclae and progression might be?

Bob Dobalina and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  9. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    The Saia terminal next to my town has very good starting pay. Their linehaul guys start at .64cpm with 18mos otr experience. OD is also close by and there pay scales are really good, too.

10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Contract negotiations are already under way. If you want updates on UPSF's negotiations, here's a link that you can follow....

UPS/UPSF Contract Updates

And yeah, your gonna struggle for the first 2 years. Starting payrate I think is around $17.25 after you pass your probation period. Don't expect too much OT as a P&D driver. Normally you'll start somewhere around 10:30 am and finish around 7-8pm. You may be able to ask the TM if you can come in early to work the docks. Or if you get lucky, they might have a Combo Dock/Driver position available, but those guys put in A LOT of OT. 12-14 hours a day is the norm, and usually none of the Senior drivers want it. It'll definitely give a new guy plenty of OT to survive the beginning payrate, but other than that, only expect to get around 45 hours per week. On the plus side, P&D drivers have weekends off, so you may be able to grab a part-time job to supplement your income, unless you have a spouse that can help you out for the first 2 years before you start making any real money.

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  11. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Awesome, thank you for the link. The position I'm filling is for dock/driver. He said the guys are normally pulling 60 hours a week, and Saturdays come up every once in a while but drivers volunteer for it.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.